LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 A/C making a humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

For clarification and future forum searches, the blower motor issue should have been labeled as such and is very easy to identify.

These LR's also have an issue with a "humming" AC compressor which is also easy to identify by pressing the "ECON" button; the humming will instantly stop.

Both my 4.4 (RRS LR3) rovers did this, similar mileage - definitely bearings or something similar internal to the AC compressor.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped the blower motor to find a piece of paper hitting the blades. It wore the blades only on one certain section so I assumed it is throwing it out of balance. Oh, well.

The following users liked this post:
GreyRover (04-18-2024)
Old 09-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is similar. When you turn the AC on and sit with it idling you can't hear anything. Once you put it in gear you hear a humming noise that seems to change tone with the RPM's of the engine. I just had the compressor replaced. It doesn't seem to cool much at idle but once you get going it gets really cold.

I was wondering if it wasn't something to do with the serpentine belt but I only hear it with the AC on. I'm going to have my mechanic look at it again.

If anybody has any other ideas on it let me know.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
For clarification and future forum searches, the blower motor issue should have been labeled as such and is very easy to identify.

These LR's also have an issue with a "humming" AC compressor which is also easy to identify by pressing the "ECON" button; the humming will instantly stop.

Both my 4.4 (RRS LR3) rovers did this, similar mileage - definitely bearings or something similar internal to the AC compressor.
I did the "econ" button test and it is definitely the compressor making the humming for me.. is this a sign to change the compressor sooner rather than later or is it just an inconvenience thing?

Old 10-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
I did the "econ" button test and it is definitely the compressor making the humming for me.. is this a sign to change the compressor sooner rather than later or is it just an inconvenience thing?
It's more than likely low refrigerant, due to a leak somewhere as mentioned in post #24.

The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (10-05-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by djkronik57
It's more than likely low refrigerant, due to a leak somewhere as mentioned in post #24.
Totally unrelated - the noise you're hearing is mechanical / bearing-related in nature, and the amount of refrigerant in the lines has no impact. Any significant leak would trigger some sort of fault / protection and cut-off via pressure switches - the compressor wouldn't even be on.

I've had the RRS and LR3 tested multiple times (I have my own manifold gauges as well) and pressures are always within limits. It's just an age/mileage thing, and a faulty compressor/bearing design.

FWIW it still functions normally, it's just noisy.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Totally unrelated - the noise you're hearing is mechanical / bearing-related in nature, and the amount of refrigerant in the lines has no impact. Any significant leak would trigger some sort of fault / protection and cut-off via pressure switches - the compressor wouldn't even be on.

I've had the RRS and LR3 tested multiple times (I have my own manifold gauges as well) and pressures are always within limits. It's just an age/mileage thing, and a faulty compressor/bearing design.

FWIW it still functions normally, it's just noisy.
I don't mean low enough to cause performance issues or trigger any fail safes. I had my AC recharged when I had groaning. Completely disappeared afterwards. You'll also see lots of stories like post #24 in this thread.

Do you have the rear AC? Often, the lines to that leak slowly and the charge, while not low enough to significantly affect performance, will make the groaning described. It may be that low refrigerant is compounding something in the compressor, but the sound does go away when the refrigerant is recharged. Either way, much cheaper to get the refrigerant topped off before going in and tearing out the compressor to see if it resolves it.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

x2. My groaning all but disappeared after I got the system re-charged...and it wasn't leaking.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I have to wonder if the groaning that people are talking about is the result of low refrigerant or perhaps moisture in the system. When a system is recharged, the shop SHOULD evacuate the entire system and refill it from zero. That would also draw out any residual moisture that has accumulated in the system. Just a thought...

Old 10-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Winching

That's totally bizarre and I've never heard of that (neither has my indy - we both work on cars / at shops, but share a lot of stories).

As far as the rear lines, are you sure you're not talking about the DII? Obviously there's a long history of the lines (what, forward of the rear wheel between the frame on drivers side right?) - but I was under the impression that the LR3 rear lines were fine.

To answer your question though - yeah, all my LR's have had the rear AC strangely enough. My DII is leaking but it's beneath a clamp near the dryer right on the front core support. I just need to get around to cutting it out and putting a compression fitting on it. Rear lines have been okay even though it's a '99 originally from Long Island *knocks on wood*

I'll have to hook the LR3 up to the snap on machine and do a full recovery and recharge to factory #'s - even though it's going to be cold now. The curiosity is killing me!

Quick Reply: LR3 A/C making a humming noise