LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 11:49 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

And for more of a landmark on the coolant, it was near the yellow clips, below the green o-ring on the left. And a small bit on the right near the bottom bolt.

Old 06-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Could be the housing then. They tend to crack, so they leak wherever. It should not have been touched when doing the pump, the pump just comes straight out forward super easy. Thus this issue could just be coincidence, maybe...

Old 06-18-2022, 11:59 PM
Mudding

Well I didn’t smell coolant before they changed the pump and I did after.

They found the mild leak on the pump during an oils change.

Now we’re here.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Well you could have had two leaks OR the misdiagnosed a housing leak as a water pump leak and thus replaced the pump for no reason. Although with age/miles, pump replacement is not a bad idea anyway... Also I have seen many coincidences with automotive repairs. Meaning maybe it was just the pump, but with a new pump and fresh coolant another small leak was disturbed and now leaking a lot more.

The following users liked this post:
droolyFace (06-19-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:22 AM
Mudding

Yesterday I took it on a 150 mile road trip. Mountain roads, highway, backroads, sand, dirt, mud, angles and all.

I'd filled it up slightly above the max fill line and it held strong the entire trip. Smelled coolant but no visible leaks like the first one on the skid plate. When it cooled at home, the bottle as a bit lower than the max fill line.

This morning I removed the TB to look under towards the t-stat housing. Most is dry and the wet I saw yesterday was mostly dry as well. Could not get photos.

I removed the radiator access panel and the drivers side splash guard and found more coolant. Largest concentration is on a forward ridge of the block, above the steering rack and behind the oil filter housing. From what I can see, the rest of the block is dry above it, as are the pulleys, etc. so it did not look like leaking from the top down, or I missed it (totally possible).

Photos below for reference and more help.

Top down with the TB removed.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy

That tends to make me think a water pump leak. I think you should clean everyone up really well. Simple Green cleaner is what you want to use. Then check again. But I bet you end up pulling the fan, belts, etc. to really get a good look.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:47 PM
Mudding

Ok. I'll grab some Simple Green and start scrubbing - after a car wash. It's filthy from the adventure and a lot of mud needs to come off. It'll get torn into this weekend unless i get time after work this week.

So I get a new water pump that leaks?

Old 06-20-2022, 08:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Possibly, that's why you need to find the leak. Could have been installed wrong.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:13 PM
Mudding

Sounds good. I'll get cleaning and post up again when I know more. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2022, 07:07 PM
Mudding

Spent an hour cleaning under the hood with SimpleGreen. Got it cleaned up as much as possible without doing major surgery so I could start it up and watch.

I started it twice and let it idle for a few min - nothing. Light smell of coolant but unable to determine where still. Which is fine. More to figure out and learn.

What is hose LR006158? It looks to be a bypass hose but it tucks under the intake and seems to wobble around. I cant for the life of me figure out where it connects on the underside. Up top is obvious. Also, is this the hose with the dreaded plastic bleeder valve? An internet search makes it look like it is but mine has no valve on top. Just two hose clamps and it continues where the valve could be. The previous owner was an LR tech so he may have eliminated the failure point if it is.

Quick Reply: LR3 Coolant Leak