LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Leak top of Windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LR3 Leak top of Windscreen

Hello all,
I wanted to share this after dealing with the leak for some time and was confident the windshield seal was the issue. I had a great guy from Elite Auto Glass come out and was prepared to have it replaced. Turns out my leak was coming in under the front of the roof rail. There was a small seam allowing the water to come in a drip at the top and onto the headliner. I hope this can help someone else.

The following 2 users liked this post by RobC:
houm_wa (09-09-2022), SeattleDriver (09-09-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Rover used a filling type material in those rails, especially around the roof rack mounts. I think that stuff likes to shrink a bit. Its also why I remove my rack every year along with the rails and those forward covers. So I can clean out the debris that builds up and inspect. I find SOOOO much packed in there, I think I have have a thread on here with pics. And of course build-up of debris leads to potential rusting issues.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same exact problem

Been dealing with all leaks on my LR3 and fix all of them except this one.. wondering if replacing the windshield will fix it or if there is other less expensive option.

any luck with yours?

Old 05-21-2024, 11:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an older thread but I believe I have the same issue, is it just a matter of putting some sealant underneath where the red line is pictured above? Any additional info is appreciated as I am considering getting my windshield replaced.

Old 05-22-2024, 03:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdisalvo
I know this is an older thread but I believe I have the same issue, is it just a matter of putting some sealant underneath where the red line is pictured above? Any additional info is appreciated as I am considering getting my windshield replaced.
You have to remove the black roof rail, clean very well and then apply some silicone to the crack on the seam sealer

Old 05-22-2024, 06:08 AM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes check there first. Pop the front of the roof rail up and you can access several inches below it. Clean it out then spray some water. I would use some painters tape to seal around the top corner of the windshield and maybe the A pillar to isolate the area you are testing.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:17 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone fixed this issue for good? Mine is dripping whenever it rains in the exact spot as the OP pointed out. I have all the roof rails (front and back) on both sides removed and cleaned but can't pinpoint where the water seeps through. The only thing I can think of is the upper windshield molding/gasket (see below diagram) and wanted to know if anyone tried this route and had any success. If anyone has other suggestions or tricks please let me know.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Most likely is the seam sealer under there roof rails. In my case it was at the front, about 6 inches away from the windshield. Is hard to pin point because the cracks are so small, like hair lines.

Originally Posted by cdaeng2
Has anyone fixed this issue for good? Mine is dripping whenever it rains in the exact spot as the OP pointed out. I have all the roof rails (front and back) on both sides removed and cleaned but can't pinpoint where the water seeps through. The only thing I can think of is the upper windshield molding/gasket (see below diagram) and wanted to know if anyone tried this route and had any success. If anyone has other suggestions or tricks please let me know.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:45 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks vito13 for your prompt response. Should I not worry about the windshield trim and just apply some sealant the area in red?

Old 05-29-2024, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cdaeng2
Thanks vito13 for your prompt response. Should I not worry about the windshield trim and just apply some sealant the area in red?

Yes. Clean it very well and inspect the sealer. It will look like the paint over the seam sealer is cracked. That's what you have to look for.

Quick Reply: LR3 Leak top of Windscreen