Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   LR3 Re-Sale Values (WTF!) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/lr3-re-sale-values-wtf-91845/)

777AIA 10-23-2018 11:07 AM

LR3 Re-Sale Values (WTF!)

So, I am out there hawking my 2008 LR3 HSE for sale, and finding it pretty incredible how hard it is to get a decent price for this vehicle. OK... what I 'think' should be a decent price.
I mean - honestly - how can a vehicle with such technology, in perfect working order (OK... LR's are never 'perfect'), and reasonable mileage (80K) not command a price over $15K ??? It's amazing.... a freaking Jeep Wrangler with no bells and whistles can get $5K more at the same age... did Land Rover saturate the market? What is going on??? I see dealers sitting on these for $23K... but the internet is mobbed with $14.9K LR3's.
Anybody have any comments to add to my reverse sticker shock?? I am wondering if these (Land Rovers) are worth buying any more...

abran 10-23-2018 11:26 AM

Nobody sells a perfectly maintained will all preventative maintenance done LR3. If they do its worth 12-15K. But you don't find them on the market

777AIA 10-23-2018 11:35 AM

Baloney - they are 'sold' all the time. Question is, why are they ONLY worth 12-15K? - when a sloppy ass Jeep is worth 18-20K with nothing in the realm of the technology our LR3's carry??

krick3tt 10-23-2018 11:45 AM

I have had 'perfect' vehicles for sale. You are only going to get what someone is willing to pay. Not what it is worth to you. One might ask why are you selling a 'perfect' vehicle?

ArmyRover 10-23-2018 12:10 PM

Ok so I took a peek at your for sale ad.

You say it's perfect but needs tires, a scratch and wear on the driver's seat. Going through KBB (using Phoenix AZ zip) giving it all the options and benefit of being excellent even though need tires should knock it down one tier you are still saying you turned down a offer of $2,000 over the max value of the vehicle. While it needs $800-1000 in repairs for the tires.

If you are going to ask that far above book it has to be exceptional and bring something special to the table.

Also pictures sell, you have 1. Pictures tell the story of the vehicle. Stacks of service history do as well.

In the end the market will dictate. Not trying to fire anyone up just giving my thoughts. It looks clean

Jeep retain more value due to demand and lack of technology that Land Rover is infamous for having, breaking and costing a bit to repair.

777AIA 10-23-2018 12:42 PM

Yea... guess I need to suck it up and just keep it! It appears to be 'not worth selling'... LOL
Guess one needs to be careful about wording too... 'perfect' is relative. Perfect for the age is where I was at... but I'm no dealer... But, mine is dealer maintained and in great working order. I do find it interesting that I can probably command a 15K price for another 20-30K miles, if lucky...
Basically, when I decided to sell and consider looking at a new one, I was expecting in the 23K range, and was just shocked it is so low. You consider what we paid for new, vs other vehicles of similar character... LR's just are not commanding a resale value - at all - compared to almost any other european vehicle.
As far as the 'ad' - I just threw it on here. I don't even consider that an 'ad'... have yet to hear of somebody selling their LR through this forum.

ArmyRover 10-23-2018 01:42 PM

I have sold one through here and bought 2

nathanb 10-23-2018 02:09 PM

$15K? That sounds awesome. I have a Mercedes Benz that's the same age. E-class, 4 Matic, loaded. MSRP was $52,000 compared to the LR3's MSRP $48,000. KBB says $7K, but others are advertising for $5K. So obviously, the Land Rovers are holding their resale value a lot better. But yeah, the JKU depreciated 3 times less. I would have thought all the new SxS's in the last 10 years would have reduced the demand for used Jeeps, but apparently not by much. It's a pity Land Rover doesn't have anything like that and doesn't appear the least bit interested in the demand for it.

houm_wa 10-23-2018 02:36 PM

I don't know why anyone would sell a well-maintained LR3. If you use it for even mild-offroading, camping, adventure driving....what could you possibly replace it with that would be better?

It's freeing for me to know that I'm going to keep mine forever; I don't care what the resale value is.

abran 10-23-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 777AIA (Post 667081)
Baloney - they are 'sold' all the time. Question is, why are they ONLY worth 12-15K? - when a sloppy ass Jeep is worth 18-20K with nothing in the realm of the technology our LR3's carry??

So what preventative maintenance has been done?

Completely rebuilt cooling system? New air suspension compressor and struts? Transmission and Diffs serviced?