LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 remote/key issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 remote/key issue

I've had constant issues with my remotes/keys for my LR3 since pretty much the day I got it.

It has been back and forth between the vehicle not responding to the remotes, and then at other times the vehicle responds but one of the keys stops working. I'm fairly certain it has been a combination of a bad receiver, and one bad key.

After over a year of asking, the dealership finally warranty replaced one of the keys. Everything worked fine for 1 month, then both remotes started not working intermittently again and now both work 1 out of 20 times at best.

I'm out of warranty now and assume they won't cover repair of the receiver. Is there anything I can check myself that might be causing the issue (i.e. a loose wire or something)??

When I'm out to the truck solo, it's no problem. When I'm trying to load 2 kids in or lots of fishing gear, it stinks.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you had issues with clogged sunroof drainage? If so, the wire from the receiver could be corroded, resulting in the remote signal not working. It's a green/white wire located in a loom under the front passenger sill.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hell pie
Have you had issues with clogged sunroof drainage? If so, the wire from the receiver could be corroded, resulting in the remote signal not working. It's a green/white wire located in a loom under the front passenger sill.
Indeed I have, though 6 months or so before the issue with the remotes started, which could make fine sense.

Is the wire one I could replace easily enough if I find it to be corroded?

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll go hunting for the wire, hopefully today.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's easy to reconnect the wire; what's difficult is actually accessing the wire. I ended up removing the front passenger seat first, which makes it easier to then remove the sill piece. Undo the black tape on the loom and look for a green/white wire a couple of inches in front of where the seat would be. If I recall correctly, you'll see a section of the wire wrapped with blue tape. That's where the corroded section is. Mine was so corroded that giving it a gentle tug caused the wire to break apart. Putting the sill back on was a MAJOR pain because the metal clips kept falling into the holes.