LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Suspension - Height Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 07:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR3 Suspension - Height Sensor Problem

Here's a new issue I'm trying to diagnose, haven't found any other posts with the same so far:

This has happened twice in the past month, both times after the vehicle has sat for at least 4 days without starting. I return to the vehicle and all four corners are lowered to the stops. I get a red fault suspension fault light with 30 mph max speed message. I cleared the fault codes and can't replicate until it happens again (dumb, dumb, dumb not to jot the codes down); but, there were two Suspension codes indicating loss of communication with BOTH front height sensors (left and right). Both times this has happened I was able to get the suspension back to normal function by clearing the faults 2 or 3 times (prior to that it comes back immediately after starting and re-starting the vehicle) AND reaching my hand behind the wheels and "wiggling" the height sensor assemblies. Once fixed, I've monitored the height sensor voltages at idle and while driving and they seem in range and consistent. And, after the first incident where the vehicle has sat for 4 days, when driving every day the errors didn't return, only after the vehicle sat at the airport for 5 days did it happen again.

****Did some more research, I believe the two codes I'm seeing are C1A72 & 73 - 1C "Front height sensor mechanism - General electrical failure - Circuit voltage out of range

Given it's both sensors at the same time, I'm guessing there's a wiring or connector issue; but, I don't see anything obvious. Anyone else experience similar or have insight into how these sensors connect back to ECU or any other troubleshooting I can do?

Last edited by CB7010; 06-24-2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I guess the fact that you can wiggle them doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy. I’d start by securing them and recalibrating the EAS. Beyond that, it sounds like one of them is failed.

I tore up the wiring when I was off-road a few years back. There was an amber suspension fault but everything still worked. I’m not saying your issue isn’t wiring, but your symptoms are different.

Old 06-24-2024, 12:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I guess the fact that you can wiggle them doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy. I’d start by securing them and recalibrating the EAS. Beyond that, it sounds like one of them is failed.

I tore up the wiring when I was off-road a few years back. There was an amber suspension fault but everything still worked. I’m not saying your issue isn’t wiring, but your symptoms are different.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to actually "wiggle" anything on the sensor body, just did it to check if anything was loose or if any of the wires looked frayed..so, not sure if that actually did anything, although both times the fault went away just after. The oddity to me is that both times it's happened after the car sat for multiple days. Woke up this AM after driving home from the airport last night and everything is fine..no faults and suspension holding its height overnight.