LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Transmissions, how robust are they?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

How do you find an open road where you can go 55-10, and then do it 5 times again?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by djkronik57
I've heard the most critical part after resetting adaptations is to follow the instructions on how to drive to get the transmission to "relearn." If you just go in and reset the adaptations and don't follow the 55-10mph coast x 5 routine, you're likely to have issues. Doing it for the sake of doing it without any reason is also asking for trouble (at least, very little chance of any benefit).
Interesting! I've never heard of this... Can you point me to the location? Is this in Topix/Workshop Manual? I'd like to read what it is considering I've reset my adaptations in the past, but have never adhered to any special driving technique afterwards.

The following users liked this post:
GBR.R (03-04-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Finding a suitable place to do the procedure is difficult. I had to wait till I was visiting family out in the country, where there is very little to no traffic and speed limits that work. From what I read, it doesn't have to be performed back to back (i.e. you don't have to do all 5 runs without interruption), but probably during the same drive cycle.

I had a specific ZF manual print out that went over the procedure, but I'm not finding it online anymore. The procedure seems to vary by manufacturer, with BMW saying it needs to be done 9(!) times, but the gist is the same across all: accelerate slowly till the transmission shifts to 6th gear, then coast down to almost a stop before using the brakes and repeat.

Here's where I first found the procedure:ZF 6HP26, 6HP28 Transmission Fluid Service Procedure

This file has a LOT of info on the transmission and the relearning procedure for VW/Audi/BMW: http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NAT...sion-6-8HP.pdf

Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the best place to do this is to find a 4 wheel dyno...at least in so cal as I can't imagine a road outside of the desert where this could be done properly...

Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Can someone please provide some insight on the tranny filter? Specifically, is the OE filter of the variety that is reusable? I know that some are a reusable metal element that you just clean and replace. Is this of that variety? I guess since these transmission were supposed to be "sealed for life" I'd be surprised if they are...then again, I'd be surprised if the filters were of the serviceable type too since they are integrated into the plastic pan.

The following users liked this post:
GBR.R (03-04-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Can someone please provide some insight on the tranny filter? Specifically, is the OE filter of the variety that is reusable? I know that some are a reusable metal element that you just clean and replace. Is this of that variety? I guess since these transmission were supposed to be "sealed for life" I'd be surprised if they are...then again, I'd be surprised if the filters were of the serviceable type too since they are integrated into the plastic pan.
It is a paper filter within the plastic housing. It is not reusable. Somewhere in my hours of research, I came across pictures of a filter someone cut open to see what was inside. It was pretty dirty. If I find them again I'll post them here.

The following 2 users liked this post by djkronik57:
GBR.R (03-04-2017), houm_wa (03-01-2017)