Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   lr3 v6? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/lr3-v6-29115/)

EL GALLO 02-20-2010 12:21 PM

lr3 v6?

Hello gentleman,
Can anyone tell me about the LR3 v6.Is it worthy of buying?How does it compare with a discovery 2004.Thanks for any info.

Benchdog 02-20-2010 07:55 PM

I have a 2006 LR-3 with the V-6 and I am very happy with the rig!!! I bought it new. Pretty good mileage, I pull a couple small trailers and it does just fine! I think it's a heavy duty motor! No oil leaks and I have over 73,000 miles and counting! I have lifted it some too! Hope this helps......

drzjoint 02-21-2010 05:11 PM

I test drove the 2 before I bought the v8. the tranny is mated to the v6 nicly I went with the v8. the price difference used was not much and I tow my boat and an enclosed trailer sometimes so I eanted the extra grunt and am glad I have it. MPG is about the same so there are really nor advantages to the v6 unless you can save a significant amount of money.

LRScott 03-04-2010 06:52 PM

Only reason I wouldn't buy the V6, not that its a bad engine. Its the same engine in the ford explorer (thats what I've been told, correct me if I'm wrong). I would just prefer the jaguar v8, idk. We have had many jags and love the cars and the smoothness of the engines. So I'm biased towards it.

Benchdog 03-06-2010 02:49 PM

After taking to a few friends in England I am told the V-6 is a ford commercial motor there, not a explorer motor!

geotrash 03-08-2010 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Benchdog (Post 166100)
After taking to a few friends in England I am told the V-6 is a ford commercial motor there, not a explorer motor!

That's true and in commercial applications it's known as the "SOHC-640", but it's also used in the Ford Explorer from 1997 onwards. It's an SOHC version of the Cologne V6, which itself was originally a pushrod design dating back to 1968. The SOHC version uses a jackshaft in place of the original camshaft to drive an additional chain to the overhead camshafts. It's a pretty good engine, but definitely an Explorer engine.

Dave

Bad Bonez BJ 03-09-2010 10:24 PM

Something else to consider in buying the V6 version.

All four brake rotors are about 2" smaller than the V8 rotors unless someone has upgraded them. That was a design purpose to help out with the TDV6 version sold in the UK with 17" wheels on them.

Originally, those V6 models sold here in the states had the smaller rotors and came with the 5-spoke 18" wheels that are so scarce now.

BJ

Oh, I love my little V6, but am working on upgrading the brakes. Just need to replace the caliper cradles and rotors, front & rear. I'll have all the parts by the time I need new rotors, and will change over then unless being on these oversize tires starts to have more effect on my braking.