LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Wheel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 04:40 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Wheel Issues

I have a 2006 LR3. Lately it's felt soft in the front end when steering etc. When looking underneath, I see this. I'm guessing this is the cause.

What is this? Any ideas as to the cost to repair? Can I just press it back together, etc. I'm pretty handy I just can't seem to find this in a schematic anywhere. So I'm going to the experts.

Thanks!
Mitch

Sorry, the picture loads sideways.. Should be 90 degrees rotated to the left.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Sway bar end link

Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that is the sway bar link. It's about an hour job give or take a few mins and can be performed using basic open end and socket wrenches.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasLR3
I believe that is the sway bar link. It's about an hour job give or take a few mins and can be performed using basic open end and socket wrenches.
...it is indeed the sway bar end link. By the looks of it, I'd replace it. The part is cheap and the install simple. If you presses that one back on - if even possible - I'd worry about its integrity and whether or not it might just pop off again. Also I'd be trying to determine why that happened. I snapped a link once and it was because my shock had worn out and was no longer limiting wheel travel.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow. I'm surprised it just felt soft in the front! Driving with a disconnected sway bar link (on one side) would lead to very unpredictable handling and a lot of body roll.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM
4th Gear

Ha, thanks everyone. Yes it's been soft with a lot of 'lean' in the front end, but that's about it. No other noises, etc.

There is a lot of corrosion around it too, so I think the rubber boot might have separated and allowed foreign material in, which could have caused it to pop off over time? Just a theory, everything else looks OK to me although I'm no expert.

I found the part online, and have ordered. I'll update when I replace with anything new. Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Mitch

Old 05-10-2017, 10:29 AM
4th Gear

It could also be the bushing correct? If that's worn I imagine it could create movement and knock the sway bar off.. I'll check those too.

-Mitch

Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mpothen
It could also be the bushing correct? If that's worn I imagine it could create movement and knock the sway bar off.. I'll check those too.

-Mitch
It could, but those will usually cause a heck of a lot of clunking over minor bumps before they get that bad. They loosen up causing the bar to be able to rattle around. I've never seen one get so bad it allows the sway bar to rip off the link. I think your link is just corroded and has come apart. It's just a ball type joint.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Winching

However...if your shock was bad and was allowing travel outside the norm it could also potentially cause this as mentioned above. I can't say I've ever seen an end link separate either, they also tend to clunk a lot when loosening up.

Quick Reply: LR3 Wheel Issues