LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderman
I put the Johnson Rods on mine and watched a video on YouTube where a guy installed 285 65R18 Nitto trail grapplers (actual measurement is 32.59") so I got some. They rub everywhere! The width of tire was the first problem. The side lugs rubbed on the upper control arm in the front. I had to use spacers and they reduce the hub centre mating surface and cause unwanted steering wheel shake. I tried 1/2" first; the studs were too short and I completely lost the hub centre. I settled on only 3/16" thick as that was all I was able to put on (without extra hassles like changing out the studs). The attached picture shows plywood under the tires as I was constantly turning the wheels left and right to check my clearances the day they were installed and I started trimming. I've cut up my bumper, and cut and welded my sub frame in a few places. The first time I went off roading a wore a big hole in my fender liner, and that was when I discovered the coolant lines that run to the rear heater. Also, even with the lift when my speed sensors failed and the suspension went into "default height" my tires rubbed. It would have been even worse if it dropped to the stops.

The bumper problem will be fixed with an ARB bumper eventually. the rest of the problems mean the tire is too big.

I agree with most of your post. My next update will be all about the Tires and the rubbing issues.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the stuff you have in your post has been covered many time so you should be able to find a lot of info on them.

I have been off-roading mine since 2008 and my 2 cents is going with larger than 31.5 inch on the tires just opens you up to to many other issues that you cannot resolve without major structural alterations.

While you can make it work under normal circumstances once you get out off-roadd and under major articulation larger tires just do not work well and if you get a fault of any kind in the suspension you are stuck with wheels that heavily dragging in the wheel wells. in my oppinion the larger tires are not really need since the LR3 does not have solid axles and you have quite a bit of clearance right down the middle of the vehicle since the diffs are tucked up.

Best deal is to get a IDII tool or similar and just adjust the suspension a little higher when off-road.

All the scid plates and bumpers you need you should know about because you work with tactical rovers and they make some of the best out there. I have seen them all and help tactical put their templates together and they designed them with input from several of our off-road club members to make a really good design.

The other things are getting to know your vehicle systems really well to be able to circumvent them when issue arrise on the trail.

Things like how to shut off your suspension and manually air it up if needed.

What the most comment failures that happen such as sensor, brake light switches etc that you should carry with you.

Scott
2006 LR3
President SCLR Off-Road Club.

Last edited by trynian; 01-12-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am currently working on mounting 17" rims and tires on my 08 lr3. The rims are out for powered coating, spacers on hand and tires on order 265 70 R17. I attached a pic of a 17" rim mounted after the brakes were reworked.

Can't wait to see more!

Attached Thumbnails -img_6403.jpg   -img_6404.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by unseenone
Nice Truck, can't wait to see the finished product.

I hope you like the way it turns out.

Originally Posted by unseenone

The transfer case, transmission and diff fluids should be changed. The brake light switch should be replaced.
Word on the street is your the man to ask for diff and trany info. What do you recommend for fluid type? and what is your take on "overfilling the diffs" filling the diffs to the top of the fill hole?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by trynian
Most of the stuff you have in your post has been covered many time so you should be able to find a lot of info on them.

I have been off-roading mine since 2008 and my 2 cents is going with larger than 31.5 inch on the tires just opens you up to to many other issues that you cannot resolve without major structural alterations.

While you can make it work under normal circumstances once you get out off-roadd and under major articulation larger tires just do not work well and if you get a fault of any kind in the suspension you are stuck with wheels that heavily dragging in the wheel wells. in my oppinion the larger tires are not really need since the LR3 does not have solid axles and you have quite a bit of clearance right down the middle of the vehicle since the diffs are tucked up.

Best deal is to get a IDII tool or similar and just adjust the suspension a little higher when off-road.

All the scid plates and bumpers you need you should know about because you work with tactical rovers and they make some of the best out there. I have seen them all and help tactical put their templates together and they designed them with input from several of our off-road club members to make a really good design.

The other things are getting to know your vehicle systems really well to be able to circumvent them when issue arrise on the trail.

Things like how to shut off your suspension and manually air it up if needed.

What the most comment failures that happen such as sensor, brake light switches etc that you should carry with you.

Scott
2006 LR3
President SCLR Off-Road Club.
Thank you for sharing your experiences and I agree with you. The iiD tool is a must on these truck.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by rfitterer
I am currently working on mounting 17" rims and tires on my 08 lr3. The rims are out for powered coating, spacers on hand and tires on order 265 70 R17. I attached a pic of a 17" rim mounted after the brakes were reworked.

Can't wait to see more!
What rim is that ?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
Thank you for sharing your experiences and I agree with you. The nanocom tool is a must on these truck.
Fixed it for you.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rfitterer
I am currently working on mounting 17" rims and tires on my 08 lr3. The rims are out for powered coating, spacers on hand and tires on order 265 70 R17. I attached a pic of a 17" rim mounted after the brakes were reworked. Can't wait to see more!
Are those stock V6 rims and brakes?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:11 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by fivespddisco
what rim is that ?
05 bmw x5

Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jafir
Are those stock V6 rims and brakes?