LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the rear fog light pull double duty

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Making the rear fog light pull double duty

A few months ago my friends talked my wife and I to make the Minis takes the states rally next year (I know this is a Land Rover Forum, but stick with me, I am going somewhere here).

So, I bought a used low mileage 2003 Mini Cooper S and I am getting it ready for a cross country trip next summer. As such, I decided to replace the bulbs with LED's and THAT is where I discovered that the previous owner had made a brilliant modification to his tail lights.

Since the Minis are European and have rear fog lights too, this guy had placed a diode between the brake light and the fog light causing the rear fog light to illuminate every time he stepped on the brakes. It did not affect the fog light as the diode prevented the voltage to flow to the brake light when they are on.

Now looking at the wiring diagram page 168 Exterior Lighting I see the the Left brake light is a green and purple wire and the right is a green and brown wire. The rear fog lights seem to both be red and yellow.

I am not sure how the Land Rover react with an extra light during braking, but since I already have LEDs in those sockets, it may not care.

Anyone try this in the past? and if so, did it work?

Jeff

Old 10-10-2019, 06:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

I doubt anyone tried it, so give it a go. Its not like you can not reverse it. If putting LEDs in, the load will be under the original anyway (not sure if that in itself will cause warnings). I myself added auxiliary reverse lights with no issue.