Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Mass Air flow Sensor question (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/mass-air-flow-sensor-question-95252/)

Athana 06-15-2019 01:38 PM

Mass Air flow Sensor question

Hi .My Repair Shoppe refuses to clean my Mass Air Flow Sensor..they say too delicate and good chance of damage on an expensive part.
Have they got it wrong.
It just seems to be a bit of MAS Cleaner by CNC sprayed on it.
When AC is on car wants to stall.
Thank you

DakotaTravler 06-15-2019 04:47 PM

You can spray them just fine, just do not touch the wires. Cleaner specific for MAF will work or non-residue electric parts cleaner is the same. Also visually inspect the sensor after cleaning. The wires should be clean and metallic looking. If there is corrosion, yellowing or darkening them its probably time to replace it. The OEM sensor is Denso, so you can buy a Denso/Toyota part for less. 22204-22010 But there are cheap Denso MAFs for $20 which can be hit or miss. Going over a year and a half on my cheap one and so far so good. But a genuine Denso, probably $75 up. Still much cheaper than a Rover "genuine".

Athana 06-16-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler (Post 693759)
You can spray them just fine, just do not touch the wires. Cleaner specific for MAF will work or non-residue electric parts cleaner is the same. Also visually inspect the sensor after cleaning. The wires should be clean and metallic looking. If there is corrosion, yellowing or darkening them its probably time to replace it. The OEM sensor is Denso, so you can buy a Denso/Toyota part for less. 22204-22010 But there are cheap Denso MAFs for $20 which can be hit or miss. Going over a year and a half on my cheap one and so far so good. But a genuine Denso, probably $75 up. Still much cheaper than a Rover "genuine".

Thank you.. fantastic.
If I need one where would you go to buy one?
If car is having the shakes with AC on is it likely it is that do you think?
Thank you so much for the advice on MAF sensor..
: )

DakotaTravler 06-16-2019 01:40 PM

You can buy them from the dealer or online.
No clue, but if the shop says its the MAF then maybe it is. But I would expect a check engine light and code.

Rufflyer 06-16-2019 05:16 PM

Rough idle usually leads me to cleaning the throttle body as well.

Jeff

Athana 06-17-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler (Post 693819)
You can buy them from the dealer or online.
No clue, but if the shop says its the MAF then maybe it is. But I would expect a check engine light and code.

Toyota dealer yes?

Athana 06-17-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rufflyer (Post 693832)
Rough idle usually leads me to cleaning the throttle body as well.

Jeff

Thanks..yes I had that done at Shoppe but my neighbor the curious type took the Throttle Body out of our car and saw Shoppe cleaned only one end..so my neighbor cleaned it really well with the correct spray..both sides..the only thing he was reluctant to do is flip open the door to clean the thin edge of flap as he wasn't sure pushing it open would damage it.

abran 06-17-2019 10:46 AM

You can push open the door with ignition off.

DakotaTravler 06-17-2019 04:57 PM

door = throttle plate, fyi :)

Athana 06-18-2019 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=DakotaTravler;693940]door = throttle plate, fyi :)[/QU

Thank you I didn't know.great.