LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing is simple or easy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Nothing is simple or easy

OK, so after reading all of the compressor rebuild threads (thank you so much to all of you who have pioneered this for the rest of us and made the info available) I collected the rebuild kit, then realized it would be less than intelligent to remove the compressor without the $.026 brackets so back to the web to order three new brackets. Well as it happens the three little parts with shipping was over $11.65. I was off work today so last Saturday, I make a trip to the local LR dealer, spend the gas to drive 38 miles one way, then paid $1.70 a piece. Well I figured that was the cost for wanting to do this on Monday and it was about the same cost but I now had them in my hand!

Put the ramps in front of the left wheels, and for some reason thought low range seemed the right thing to do. I also most drove over the ramps and had to back up to get them centered. Placed my trusty wheel chocks in place and removed the compressor cover.

I immediately saw this......

Well another trip to the inter web and this is now a project for next weekend. B-)

I will post the outcome after it is installed.

Attached Thumbnails Nothing is simple or easy-img_20141013_090145.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Ouch! Tactical 4x4 sells a bracket for the Compressor. It's meant to relocate the AMK but I'd think it'd be fine for the Hitachi as well.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
Put the ramps in front of the left wheels, and for some reason thought low range seemed the right thing to do. I also most drove over the ramps and had to back up to get them centered. Placed my trusty wheel chocks in place and removed the compressor cover.

I immediately saw this......

Well another trip to the inter web and this is now a project for next weekend. B-)

I will post the outcome after it is installed.
I complement you trying to be prepared. Whenever I contemplate work on my 3, I plan weeks in advance and set aside a number of days for the most minor task. It just seems to be needed.

The broken compressor bracket is not exactly unusual but certainly is a nuisance. I have one in my spares collection.

When going under my 3, I like to put frame jacks under as I never know when the air system is going to let go - well I figure it would be when I was under it but fiddling with the air system pretty much ups the odds.

We will be all interested in the outcome of your latest adventure and we sympathize.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Winching

It just keeps getting better. For some reason, I pulled fuse 3 and 26 before I drove up on the ramps. Since this project was on hold I decided to replace the coolant level sensor (at least one thing went right). And only one...... Just took it to the store and the normal ride height light came on, so now I start down a completely different rabbit hole.

Last edited by Rufflyer; 10-13-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

How do you tell the amk from hitachi

Old 10-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Well for starters the AMK is mounted to a really thick aluminum bracket on its bottom side....

Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Default lower half of case more square

From the outside, the bottom half of the AMK black plastic sound surround case is a bit more square than with the Hitachi. Probably if you park your 3 beside a new 4, you would be able to see the difference - but it is not much.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Is the pic above the Hitachi?

Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Default yes, Hitachi

Yes, the jpg in the first post is the Hitachi compressor.

The link below shows a bit of the Hitachi's internals and also what a new compressor bracket looks like.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Broken Air Compressor RQG500060

This is a link to a 9 page thread on the new AMK.
New EAS Compessor Option - Australian Land Rover Owners

The attached jpg's show the lower half of the AMK compressor case; also an exploded view of the Hitachi compressor.

Attached Thumbnails Nothing is simple or easy-air-compressor-exploded-view-showing-covers-bracket.jpg   Nothing is simple or easy-amk-compressor-cover-bottom-half-mounted.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Winching
Default Problem solved

After replacing the bracket, putting the compressor rebuild kit in, the normal ride height warning remained.

The compressor would run about 5 seconds then shutoff abruptly.

Then.......... Hdc, amber brake light, movable headlight , dynamic suspension control lights are all lite up.

I gave up and took it to the local Indy shop.

I took the expensive option and replaced the compressor with a new AMK compressor upgrade.

Seems the electric motor was burned out and would only run a few seconds before it would overheat and shut off.

Well I am forcing myself to be happy with the new style compressor. B-)

Quick Reply: Nothing is simple or easy