Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Opinions on a potential purchase LR3 SE V8 210,000 miles (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/opinions-potential-purchase-lr3-se-v8-210-000-miles-92055/)

RossN99 11-05-2018 07:40 PM

Opinions on a potential purchase LR3 SE V8 210,000 miles

Just looking for some advice on a potential purchase. The vehicle in question is a 2006 Land Rover LR3 SE V8 with 210,000 miles. Currently the radiator has a leak and one of the arm rests is damaged but the engine and transmission are apparently strong. The interior is in need of a deep clean but the car does still have air suspension (I see that as a plus but I know others would be wary of it on a car with this mileage). I think the front sunroof is cracked from one of the pictures but the current owner claims it is not. The current owner will not let it go for under $3,000 and I can't decide on whether or not to pull the trigger. I do have experience working on cars (Changed the head gasket on my 2002 Discovery, changed air shocks on an L322, replaced suspension on my BMW 335i, ect) so I won't be spending big bucks at the dealership or something, but just asking for a second opinion as I was trying not to spend as much on this LR3 if I were to decide to flip it for a profit. I am located in North Georgia if that helps with average pricing.

TennRover 11-05-2018 08:41 PM

I bought my 08 SE just outside of Atlanta earlier this year. Truck had 100k and detailed service records. Interior was really clean. Got it for $11k.

There is an 06 on Autotrader with 108k that looks clean for $6900. So with what you listed $3k seems overpriced.

livfreely 11-05-2018 08:43 PM

I’m a complete newb so take this with a grain of salt, but I would NOT take that offer. You can search around and find a better bargain with less mileage. For 5k you could be at <150k. Read the pre purchase check list thread above, and if everything checks 210k is pushing it for troubles.

EDIT: I did a quick craigslist search and found a couple around 150k for 5k.

ArmyRover 11-06-2018 08:33 AM

What's the documented service history look like?

RossN99 11-06-2018 09:37 AM

I agree with what your saying as it makes way more sense to spend $2k more to get a lower mileage car. I guess I wasn't exactly clear on my plans for this car, I was planning on trying to buy it fix it keep it for a few months to a year and try to flip it for a profit but I agree and I think $3000 may just be a little too high to make any real profit. The current owner has owned the truck for the past 8 years and if he's telling the truth it has been serviced at Land Rover of Chattanooga since he's taken ownership but I have yet to see any receipts. I also haven't seen it in person so I was hoping to figure it out more in person. His story is that everything works but when the radiator started leaking and with the mileage he decided to just sell it for cheaper instead of throwing money at it. I can attach pictures if y'all would like.

Blackngold77 11-06-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RossN99 (Post 668988)
I agree with what your saying as it makes way more sense to spend $2k more to get a lower mileage car. I guess I wasn't exactly clear on my plans for this car, I was planning on trying to buy it fix it keep it for a few months to a year and try to flip it for a profit but I agree and I think $3000 may just be a little too high to make any real profit. The current owner has owned the truck for the past 8 years and if he's telling the truth it has been serviced at Land Rover of Chattanooga since he's taken ownership but I have yet to see any receipts. I also haven't seen it in person so I was hoping to figure it out more in person. His story is that everything works but when the radiator started leaking and with the mileage he decided to just sell it for cheaper instead of throwing money at it. I can attach pictures if y'all would like.

any car over 200k wont make you a dime on a fix and flip

COSPILOT 11-06-2018 01:32 PM

I once tried to flip a 1983 Jaguar XJ6 that I got for free from a dealer friend. Had it not been free, I would have lost money.:) In general, I don't know of anyone flipping normal cars and making money. That thing looked perfect at first glance, but typical Jaguar Series 3 with rot in all the places that matter. Will never make that mistake again.