LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on roof rack / platform

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Opinions on roof rack / platform

Before you scroll down any further, know that I realize I'm posting in the LR3 forum when the vehicle in question is a RRS. The reason I am doing this is because I feel your forum is more familiar with racks where as there really aren't any good options for the RRS, in terms of racks and platforms on the market.

Basically I trust your opinions...

The platform I purchased is the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform in 76" length x 54" width. I'm quite pleased with the build quality. I own a number of other Rhino Rack accessories and pieces and have always been impressed by the quality and fitment.

So my question to you is this-- the rack below is 54" from left to right, I'm curious to know if you feel it's aesthetically unbalanced, and should be narrower. There is a 48" width available but it was never made clear to me that it would fit with the addition of $15 Rhino Rack spacers. Basically the feet of the Rhino Rack recess in to the inner cross bar of the platform without the spacer, the 48" platform would rest on the outside rail of the platform. Thus the cross bar would not make contact with the foot. The spacer allows the platform to sit atop foot and not have the foot recessed into the rack.

Part of me feels the 54" is too wide and it looks generic or unfinished. But sometimes I look at it and think it squares off the roof-line even better than the 48" would.

Couple things to note; I have since removed the middle feet and are currently only using the front and rear (much better balance and I personally think it looks better), the track rails left to right measure 48" / 49" so the 48" platform would be directly above the rails (to give you mental visual aid). ALSO, regardless of the racks, I plan to cut the length of the platform (which I have confirmed is possible) approx 6". The distance at the rear hatch will remain in the same position but toward the front the platform will end where you see the downward bend in roof-line. I will be cutting it from the back in case you were wondering as the channel along the top to insert accessories has the larger opening to allow them to slide in.

Sorry for the lousy pictures. Important to also know that certain angles make the platform look like its hanging off the edge of the truck more than others. Difficult to capture this however in photographs.

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_2101.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_2100.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_2099.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_2095.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_2093.jpg  

Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_2091.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_2088.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_1627.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_1622.jpg   Opinions on roof rack / platform-img_1621.jpg  

Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Looks fine as is

I would keep the rack as is and also put back the center bar piece for support. Can you walk on the rack? If yes, I wouldn't want flex in the middle of the rack while on top of the rack. Now you just need a ladder on back

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on roof rack / platform-%24-kgrhqrhjeufej-be67cbrkuye-l4g%7E%7E60_12.jpg  

Last edited by mx468; 02-12-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Drifting

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately due to the contour of the roof, by adding the middle feet the rack actually was bending/bowing since its higher in the middle than ends. Rhino Rack doesn't recommend using middle feet that was just something I did on my own. There is however two perpenticular support bars under the platform in the middle. I'm over 200lbs and it held me. I don't expect to be up there much at all. Just gear. I had the same thought pricess as you however but I think by adding them it was doing more harm than good. It was a challenge to bolt the feet flush to the cross bars with the middle feet in and you could actually notice the bowing without any issue.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthBoundLR3
Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately due to the contour of the roof, by adding the middle feet the rack actually was bending/bowing since its higher in the middle than ends. Rhino Rack doesn't recommend using middle feet that was just something I did on my own. There is however two perpenticular support bars under the platform in the middle. I'm over 200lbs and it held me. I don't expect to be up there much at all. Just gear. I had the same thought pricess as you however but I think by adding them it was doing more harm than good. It was a challenge to bolt the feet flush to the cross bars with the middle feet in and you could actually notice the bowing without any issue.
In that case leave it as is.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Unrelated note, is that a manual transmission RRS???

Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DavC
Unrelated note, is that a manual transmission RRS???

Yeah made just for me.