LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outfitting my LR3! Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outfitting my LR3! Need Opinions

SOOOO My wife and I are doing an epic trip this summer, going from Vancouver Island, BC to the Western Coast of Mexico. Duration is unknown, but planning on two months. Were also starting a Travel Blog and linking it with my Instagram (Oasisplayer311) and my Ambassadorship with an outdoor app called Yonder (EHayes35). SOOO all of this is to say I'm outfitting my LR3 to be self sustained (within limits). I have four months.

Done so far:
-Lower Control Arms,
-Wheel Hubs
-AMK Compressor
-Tie Rods
-Baja Rack
-Eezi Awn Series 3 1800 Roof Top Tent
-Eezi Awn Series 1000 Awning
-63Qt ARB Freezer/Fridge
-Rhino Rod Lift
-4x Hello Black Magic Lights
-All Maintenance Up-To-Date

I have 75k Miles on the dot. I know I need new rims/tires. (Mine is the HSE with 19in rims) Planning on a Rear Bumper with swing away arms.

Any other upgrades you guys suggest?

Last edited by Oasisplayer311; 02-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

That sounds awesome! I don't really use instagram, but if I can get to your travel blog from there, great... if not, make sure to post the link when you get it going. I'd love to follow along.

I don't know what sort of terrain you're going to see, so it's hard to make recommendations. If you're sticking mostly to pavement, or just dirt roads, then probably no need for the wheels and I would choose appropriate tires. If you plan on getting into the mud and/or rocky terrain, then 18's might serve you well with, again, appropriate tires for the situation.

My biggest recommendation would be to carry a well packed tool kit and spares kit. I don't know if there is a comprehensive thread out there that talks about what should be in your LR3 spares kit... I seem to remember reading one or two, but I don't know how easy they were to follow. Might be worthwhile to start one and see what people recommend you take with you.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Oasis, where were you last year when I went to the Yukon Territory in the Rover!?!?!

Anyway, sounds like an outstanding trip. My wife and I have mused about such a trip, like from Seattle to Baja, CA along the coast. The idea of meeting up for a beer and discussing your spares kit sounds good. I put together a spares kit myself for the trip back from Whitehorse, Yukon. I can share my approach and what sorts of issues I ran into. Of course, my weather situation was much different (-19F overnight) so my considerations had to be different than yours, by and large.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

You may want to consider doing the AMK compressor upgrade before you end up needing it somewhere in the Bush. My original Hitachi went out around 75k miles and now at 150k my second hitachi is on its way out. I see a trend here.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy

Erik, did you ever try the dryer/desiccant "service kit" on your Hitachi?

Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Erik, did you ever try the dryer/desiccant "service kit" on your Hitachi?

It wasn't available my first go-round 5 years ago. Now replacement driers are NLA. We do sell a Drier rebuild kit here now for $50, but my compressor has been struggling too long. The drier kit at this point would only be a band aid.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
My biggest recommendation would be to carry a well packed tool kit and spares kit. I don't know if there is a comprehensive thread out there that talks about what should be in your LR3 spares kit... I seem to remember reading one or two, but I don't know how easy they were to follow. Might be worthwhile to start one and see what people recommend you take with you.
That would be nice to get a comprehensive Spares Kit Thread and get it stickied! Seems like more and more people are outfitting their D3's for "Overland Expedition".

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Oasis, where were you last year when I went to the Yukon Territory in the Rover!?!?!

Anyway, sounds like an outstanding trip. My wife and I have mused about such a trip, like from Seattle to Baja, CA along the coast. The idea of meeting up for a beer and discussing your spares kit sounds good.
I didnt have my D3 till August of last year, so a lot has been done to it in a short time, and still low miles! Would love to meet up man, I will PM you my contact info, and we can plan a time to meet up!

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
You may want to consider doing the AMK compressor upgrade before you end up needing it somewhere in the Bush. My original Hitachi went out around 75k miles and now at 150k my second hitachi is on its way out. I see a trend here.
Forgot about that! My compressor went out at 67k on my way from Colorado to Washington. Went out when I was climbing in Rife, CO. Got it replaced with the AMK in Salt Lake City. I updated the original post to show the AMK!

Old 02-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Sounds good, Oasis.

Erik, I will be ready to go AMK when the time comes...I'm stressin' fitting my RS Sliders back on after that though. I have a relocation bracket (from TR) but I still think the cutting torch has to come out.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

You are supposed to be good with their relocation bracket without cutting, but I have heard from a few people that the vibrating in the truck is real bad due to it bolting directly to a steel plate which is bolted directly to the frame without any sort of deadening materials.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oasisplayer311
Forgot about that! My compressor went out at 67k on my way from Colorado to Washington. Went out when I was climbing in Rife, CO. Got it replaced with the AMK in Salt Lake City. I updated the original post to show the AMK!

Nice! One less thing to worry about

I highly recommend a GAP IID tool for a trip like that. You'll be glad you have it when you get an engine code or an issue with a height sensor.

Quick Reply: Outfitting my LR3! Need Opinions