LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park Brake Fault; not able to release park brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by djkronik57
The screeching is also usually symptomatic of a parking brake that is not adjusted correctly, causing the EPB module to operate outside normal range, which eventually causes it to jam. Usually the brake pads are too loose, causing the EPB to have to spool in far more of the cable to get the required engagement (it confirms engagement through cable torque). Eventually this leads to the EPB running out of adjustment and jamming against the end of its travel. If you have the screech, it might be worth it to check your shoe adjustment in the rotor following the correct procedure before it jams the EPB module.
Done. I actually just avoided using it for a year or so until I finally got around to replacing rotors at the rear. Also adjusted the pads at that time. Much swearing was done as it's been years since I had to wrestle with drum brakes and had forgotten how much fun those springs are.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just for reference if you pull up the little glasses holder rubber thing on the right side of the console and feel around in that space you will find a wire rope loop. If you yank on this thing hard it will manually release the parking brake. Mine seized on the trail and I would of been SOL if it wasn't for that thing.

The following users liked this post:
bob.258 (03-23-2018)
Old 07-10-2024, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dealt with this issue the past couple weeks on my 2008 LR3 that I just purchased a few weeks ago. The previous owner never used the EPB, so of course the first time I used it, it jammed up. I was able to release it, but unfortunately it would sort of randomly re-ngage (the blinking red Park light would come on randomly while driving, and when pushing down on the EPB switch it would screech and I would get a PB fault and the amber brake light as well).

Ultimately the shoes drum finally jammed up against the drum, caused some brake burning, and wouldn't budget no matter what I tried with the manual release, so I ended up removing it for now: prying off the disc with much effort, fully dissembling the shoe assembly, pushing the cable back through the shielding and zip-tying itself, as I've heard from other posts is how to remove the parking brake. When I turned the car on the park light was still blinking, but this time when i pushed down on the EPB switch the light went off (as the parking brake is no longer engaged) and no faults since. I'm hoping the issue is just with the original mis-adjustment of the drums and not a motor mechanical issue, and will hopefully be able to get around to fixing it wben I have an afternoon to struggle with brake shoes :/

In the meantime atleast there are no error lights and hopefully I won't be parking on any steep hills...