LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part number for coolant fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:51 PM
tnk
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Part number for coolant fitting?

Hey all,

Does anyone have the part number for this plastic fitting (with metal cap) that is part of the coolant outlet to the cylinder head? I found the hose and fitting combo, but it's 90 bucks and my hose is in decent shape.

Also, what is the purpose of this fitting? Mine broke so I have replaced it temporarily with a brass fitting.

Thanks!

Name:  QLOdTPu.png
Views: 119
Size:  34.5 KB

Here's the broken one..

Name:  F6Gfsyy.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 01-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 01-22-2016, 04:30 PM
tnk
Drifting

High point bleed valve. Makes sense. Thanks for the part number!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Spend more money and get a part that will never fail again:
Upgrade for silly plastic T fitting in hose for Land Rover LR3

Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

60 bucks for a little brass Tee ?!!

Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

That price is obscene

Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Or you could do the trail fix and use a bic pen!

Old 01-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I actually replaced mine along with all the rubber hoses at 116 000 miles as preventive measure and also carry extra T bleeder as a spare, in case of trail break up.What bathers me though is the general greed for a parts , that should cost 1/5 of that price. It seams that every American company wants to make a million bucks overnight , they don't look for a long term relationship with customer, after all cars nowadays are not meant to last long, but scrap as quickly as possible for razors and such.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

It should be noted that a few people reported the brass T fittings can leak. OEM one does not but is fragile, so I carry a spare too. Unless you do A LOT of coolant work in that area the fitting should be fine (just use two wrenches to unscrew slowly). The fitting that came with the truck lasted 8 years before I cracked it trying to replace it with a brand new one. One end usually snaps off when you try and pull one of the hoses off. A dealer should be able to get you a new one by itself for a few bucks (no more than $20 IIRC).

EDIT: to top question, its a cap that allows you to bleed air from the system since it is located at the highest point in the coolant loop. IMO you don't ever need to use it for that, the system can be 'burped' without touching it.

Last edited by DavC; 01-24-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 PM
tnk
Drifting

Originally Posted by DavC
It should be noted that a few people reported the brass T fittings can leak. OEM one does not but is fragile, so I carry a spare too. Unless you do A LOT of coolant work in that area the fitting should be fine (just use two wrenches to unscrew slowly). The fitting that came with the truck lasted 8 years before I cracked it trying to replace it with a brand new one. One end usually snaps off when you try and pull one of the hoses off. A dealer should be able to get you a new one by itself for a few bucks (no more than $20 IIRC).

EDIT: to top question, its a cap that allows you to bleed air from the system since it is located at the highest point in the coolant loop. IMO you don't ever need to use it for that, the system can be 'burped' without touching it.
Thanks man, I've got a brass splice in there right now with no vent fitting at all. I didn't use anything other than the expansion tank screw when I topped up after the hose blew off when the fitting broke. I haven't decided if I'm going to put a replacement bleeder in there yet, but I have to make a trip over to the dealer to pick up some T-case fluid anyway, I might see if they have any.

Quick Reply: Part number for coolant fitting?