LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA: Brake Rotors can crack w/ stuck EPB (parking brake)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Default PSA: Brake Rotors can crack w/ stuck EPB (parking brake)

Making this thread so others can find it during a search and see that they need to check their rotors asap.

So it is common knowledge that the EPB (electronic parking brake) can seize on our Lr3's.

When this happens we all know it can create a-lot of heat and destroy wheel bearings, brakes, etc.

AND it can crack your rear brake rotors.

See pics.

This is the driver side rear Powerstop z36 rotor with less than 1000 miles.

For clarification; I drove 55mph for approx 2 miles when the wobble started. I should've pulled over sooner.

The cracks on these rotors go all the way through the rotor hat and that is too big to leave on the vehicle.

These cracks are called "heat checking" if you want to google that. And it is o.k. IF you have small ones that your fingernail can't catch when you scratch your nail over it.

Attached Thumbnails PSA: Brake Rotors can crack w/ stuck EPB (parking brake)-cracked-powerstop-1.jpg   PSA: Brake Rotors can crack w/ stuck EPB (parking brake)-cracked-powerstop-2.jpg  
Old 08-31-2021, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by COSitsWORTHit
Making this thread so others can find it during a search and see that they need to check their rotors asap.

So it is common knowledge that the EPB (electronic parking brake) can seize on our Lr3's.

When this happens we all know it can create a-lot of heat and destroy wheel bearings, brakes, etc.

AND it can crack your rear brake rotors.

See pics.

This is the driver side rear Powerstop z36 rotor with less than 1000 miles.

For clarification; I drove 55mph for approx 2 miles when the wobble started. I should've pulled over sooner.

The cracks on these rotors go all the way through the rotor hat and that is too big to leave on the vehicle.

These cracks are called "heat checking" if you want to google that. And it is o.k. IF you have small ones that your fingernail can't catch when you scratch your nail over it.
I’m concerned enough that during this last brake job I fully backed off the shoes and refuse to engage the EPB. I only park on level ground so it’s sort of a non issue, but I’m done dealing with this random issue.

The following users liked this post:
tracyc (04-26-2022)