LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quirky issue with my lr3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quirky issue with my lr3

Hey guys

ive got a 2005 LR3 se with approx 93K on it. She's by far the best thing ive ever owned. It's love, im all rover. Now I understand that owning a rover requires a certain temperment so I'm totally prepared for its level of reliability.

With that being said I've got an odd list of symptons that I'm trying to figure out.

It all stated with what I thought was a tail light bulb that burnt out. My rear passenger tail light seemed burnt out. So i ordered some OEM bulbs and installed them. It seemed as if it didn't work. Until I had my girlfriend stay in the car and work all the lights it seems that the bulb that didnt work works as a brake light just not a tail light.

My battery is new, although I did see a little funky build up on the bulb connector. Not sure.

So then driving down the road a week or so later I go some symptoms
bunch of beeps followed by

HDC Fault
Transmission Fault
Suspension Lowered
special programs off

Car squats down rides rough blah blah.
Let it have a moment to collect itself with the ignition off and all is healed.

It was fine for a few weeks until today when it did it twice.

First two times it happened was under long steady braking coming off the highway.

Other time was just after starting with my foot still on the brake i turned the lights on and then it wigged out.

What should I do?

Also something else I noticed is that when I lock my car it only seems to lock some of the doors. I have to click the lock button many times to get it all to lock up. I did have to buy a new key fob when i bought my car and never had it "programmed" Not sure if this is a symptom of an electrical issue or not

Any help would really be appreciated

Cheers,
Stan

The following users liked this post:
unseenone (06-13-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

If this happens while braking and bulbs are good could be brake light switch on pedal, or you could get codes read

The following users liked this post:
unseenone (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I would lean toward the brake light switch, it is known.

On the locks, I recently replaced the rear latch mechanism, display the same symptoms. Some people say you can remove them and repair them and reinstall. I opted for new ones, and have the old ones to tear apart and try to fix them... It wasn't bad, I designed a special tool to reinstall them.

I figured if I can fix them I would sell them as refurb for about half the price. The new ones were around 100+ a piece. The two I did were the two rear doors.

W/Central Locking Rear Doors

109.23 ea

FQM500380 Right
FQM500390 Left

Stop / Tail Bulb
XZQ000020

License Plate Lamp (keep spares)
XZQ000060

Brake Light Switch
XKB500110

Last edited by unseenone; 06-13-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:06 PM
7th Gear

thanls so much for the help guys. glad that its a cheap part to begin with i will let you know how it goes

Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 PM
7th Gear

ok so i replaced the brake light switch and nothing

the only new symptom i have is that this only happens exactly when i turn the lights on. As soon as you turn the lights onto any setting - rover goes bananas. no head lights no problems?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

when you say nothing, did the symptoms change? There is a short somewhere it sounds like. Have you had a water ingress problem at all. Maybe pull out the light fuses, one by one and see if the symptoms change to narrow it down to what circuit the problem is in.

The quirkiness with the brake switch is related to a common ground on all these systems.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:08 PM
7th Gear

what i meant was that after the brake switch replacement im still having the same problem namely, when and only when i turn on the lights ( to any setting) the car bongs, tells me i have a transmission error, the brake light stays on as well as the traction light, all special programs are off and the suspension lowers.

I do have a tail light that looks out but the same bulb works under braking.

I havn't noticed any water egress issues, the car smells ok where do they typically leak?

also which fuses relate to the lighting system ?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 PM
7th Gear

ok so just an update the issue has gone away it seems.

I cleaned my battery terminals, they were slightly corroded and ugly. I used a bit of baking soda and water with a good wire brush to clean them up. Reassembled and no luck i still had the issue.

Next i took out each tail lamp, removed the bulbs, cleaned a little gunk on the contacts inside of the bulb housing. laced profanity upon both tail lights and problem solved.

One bulb, the right rear bulb on the upper portion of the lamp assembly just looked a bit crusty i suspect that may have been the one

thanks for all the help guys, hopefully this cures it. Riding with the suspension lowered blows !