LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wheel bouncing with burnt smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel bouncing with burnt smell

I have a 2005 LR3. While traveling on freeway from TN to OH on vacation, I noticed severe vibration in rear wheel like driving over rumble strips. Pulled off freeway to gas station and inspected rear wheels. Noticed rear wheel smelling of severe burnt smell. No issue with tire or air shocks. Krept car slowly in parking lot while viewing rear wheel thru rearview mirror and noticed wheel bouncing up and down gently even at 5-10 mph. Had vehicle towed to ma&pa repair shop which was only place open. With rear of vehicle in air, able to spin wheel to eliminate pad/rotor seizing up. Emergency brake was not engaged and was not grabbing rotor. Did not see brake caliper problem, pad failure (pads at 5%) or rotor issue. Wheel rotated freely, and did not show play from top to bottom or left to right when I tried to twist wheel to see if bearing had failed or seized up. Believe could be an ABS issue with brakes grabbing rotor causing wheel to bounce? Had to get rental car to get family home and left LR3 in TN. Going to have vehicle towed to TN dealer on Monday to analize and check for computer codes. Any ideas out there?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I know you said the tire looked fine, but I'd still start there. A broken internal structure may have no external visual clue when the tire is on the rack or turned in the air, but will show itself on the ground under load doing exactly what you describe. Given the complexity of these trucks, it's natural to suspect something like the ABS as you have, but the simple things still crop up just as often.

Dave

Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,251 Likes on 671 Posts
Default I'd say with about 99% certainty = parking brake

This is classic parking brake failure mode ... ie what you are experiencing is probably your parking brake... basically what happens if that it get out of adjustment, the shoes drag. They heat up. Alot. Then it binds. Causes that "rumble strip" feeling and the rotor gets blued from being so hot.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

either whomever put brakes on screwed up or else its a failure. I had one one hang up after a rear brake job once. Didn't back off the shoes enough.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer discovered the EM brake pad retaining clip was broken and the pad itself was out of position, causing damage to it as well as smoking the rotor pretty good. When I viewed the brakes the first time, I did not pull the rotor off to inspect as I did not know the EM pads were on the underside/inside of the rotor/hub. Had to replace both rear EM brake pads. Simple fix! Also had rear brakes and other rotor replaced (my request) as I was down to less than 5% anyway. Now I have to drive back to TN from OH to get my LR3! Could have done this work myself, but there was no warning light and I had no idea of any problem. When it happened, it was in an instant and scary. When you breakdown on the highway 400 miles from home with no shop or dealer for miles open to help. Simple problem COMPLETELY incapacitated my vehicle.
Thanks to those who posted. I may be posting additional questions to you for future preventative maintenance q's.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fromthetips
When you breakdown on the highway 400 miles from home with no shop or dealer for miles open to help. Simple problem COMPLETELY incapacitated my vehicle.
Been there, but with a different vehicle. Second thing I did (after getting off the road and calling AAA) was get on the smart phone and query the forums for that truck for possibilities. Had a potential resolution in 10 minutes and was on the road a few hours later after the part (a simple relay) was installed. Forums like these are lifesavers both while at home and when something happens on the road.

Best,
Dave