LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reliability of LR3

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliability of LR3

I'm looking at getting a 2008 LR3 to do a road trip that will take me across Canada and the USA over a 6-month period. I have heard/seen unfavourable reports about the LR3's reliability. Can anyone confirm/deny these reports? Also, is it reasonable to do most of the maintenance on an LR3 by someone who only has basic mechanical knowledge?
Thanks for your help.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default road trip

If I was preparing a road trip across the USA and Canada with my LR3, I will not hesitate as long as the following maintenance was done.

- 105 000 miles maintenance style service done (new belt, spark plugs, filters, etc)
- replace all the fluids and make sure diff, transmission, transfer box, brake fluid, coolant ok and clean
-Battery in good conditions or new
-replace brake pedal switch and keep extra tail light bulbs on hand (LR parts)
-Check no leaks in suspension system (valve, line, shocks)
-Make sure compressor is in very good shape or replace with new
-New all terrain tires if needed
-Brakes in very condition or new
-Front control arms recently replaced or new
-4 wheel alignment
-No codes showing on diagnostic tool
-All terrain switch working

Off course It all depends on how many miles are on your LR3, how well it was taking care off (maintenance, etc), you budget.
I will suggest you have a good list of independent land rover shop or dealer, just in case you need them.

The LR3 has been more reliable than all it's predecessor, but it's more expensive to maintain.

And finally you are going across USA and Canada, not Africa. There is road side assistance everywhere as long as you got insurance or money to pay the bill. You could technically start your road trip just with a basic maintenance done on LR3 but better safe than sorry!!

Hope it helps

Last edited by discoland; 10-20-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: forgot sentence
Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM
3rd Gear

Dear Discoland,
Thank you for this information. Very helpful to see what I need to prepare and/or watch for. My last Land Rover was a '97 Disco 1 which was on 3-year lease so I never got to care much for the maintenance but the LR3 seems like the perfect vehicle for this trip.
Your sign-off note "A Land Rover without a leak is not a Land Rover. With a Land Rover it's just as hard to keep water outside as it is to keep the oil inside." is however, a little worrisome. Does it still apply to the LR3?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quote

That quote apply mostly to pre 2000 Defenders.

I worked in Africa at that time and had a 110 that leaked oil (steering box + transfer case). Also when it was raining there was always a water drip somewhere inside the car.
I went to see a friend who owned a garage to fix the small leaks, and the quote was his answer to my problem (African way).

Regarding the LR3, I never had any oil leak.
Regarding water leaking, the sunroof drain pipe could be plugged resulting in water entering the driving compartment. To verify, you just need to poor a little water near the drain hole and look for water dripping on both side behind the front wheel. You can find more info on the forum for cleaning the drain pipe if need be.

Hope that helps

Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear

Many thanks. Very helpful.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by discoland
If I was preparing a road trip across the USA and Canada with my LR3, I will not hesitate as long as the following maintenance was done.

- 105 000 miles maintenance style service done (new belt, spark plugs, filters, etc)
- replace all the fluids and make sure diff, transmission, transfer box, brake fluid, coolant ok and clean
-Battery in good conditions or new
-replace brake pedal switch and keep extra tail light bulbs on hand (LR parts)
-Check no leaks in suspension system (valve, line, shocks)
-Make sure compressor is in very good shape or replace with new
-New all terrain tires if needed
-Brakes in very condition or new
-Front control arms recently replaced or new
-4 wheel alignment
-No codes showing on diagnostic tool
-All terrain switch working

Off course It all depends on how many miles are on your LR3, how well it was taking care off (maintenance, etc), you budget.
I will suggest you have a good list of independent land rover shop or dealer, just in case you need them.

The LR3 has been more reliable than all it's predecessor, but it's more expensive to maintain.

And finally you are going across USA and Canada, not Africa. There is road side assistance everywhere as long as you got insurance or money to pay the bill. You could technically start your road trip just with a basic maintenance done on LR3 but better safe than sorry!!

Hope it helps

I totally second this list and suggestions.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...also depending on the mileage I'd change all the rubber brake hoses and coolant lines, depending on what time of year the trip is. Curious why you are getting a Land Rover to do the trip...what kind of trip is it? Off-road? If not, I'm not sure I'd get a Land Rover FOR the trip.

I drove my '05 home from Whitehorse last March. It got as cold as -19F. Here is what I did (I may forget some):

Replaced all rubber brake lines
Replaced all rubber coolant lines (radiator hoses and thermostat too)
Replaced oil and coolant and PS fluid
...kept all usable spares
Installed block heater

....of course, it depends on the work that has been done prior. My LR3 is on schedule with maintenance and has had done all the stuff that we've learned off on this and other message boards that are not necessarily by the book (like diff fluids and brake switches and compressor maintenance and the like).

Also, you may want to invest in an IIDTool. Those are invaluable.

Please describe your trip. It is intriguing.

Cheers.