LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential buyer; what should I know?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential buyer; what should I know?

Hi,

Already posted in the newbie section; time for some technical questions after browing the LR3 forum.

My friend has an LR3 V8 and I loved it. I may need to get a new car soon and there are some sweet deals out there on V8 LR3's that are still under warranty - low miles, something like $22K or less in some places. I love the idea of a huge cargo room in back, fold down seats, we're having a kid soon, etc.

In terms of SUVs, how does this thing really handle? It's truck-based, right, so is there a rollover hazard? I'm not used to driving SUVs and couldn't really give it any sort of a test in that regard. I'm not a race car driver or anything, just want to know how this thing does in DRY conditions?

I saw the thread about stock tires not being good in snow. I know that tires are the only thing that hits the road and are therefore the most important in terms of ensuring you have proper tires for weather, but how many of you out there have felt compelled to get snow tires on your LR3, or at least really great all seasons that handle weather pretty well?

I won't use this to offroad, at least not in the near term, FYI.

What should I be looking out for? Any TSBs, quality control issues, reliability issues with this (say 2006) model, year, engine? My friend insists the only issue he's had is the hill descent control button won't work and he's had to get that fixed twice under warranty. I'm used to that; in my Benz, the brake light switch is very sensitive and I've had to replace it twice with a $15.00 part.

Thanks!
- Frank

Old 02-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was just just answered on another forum and the answer given was excellent so I will pass it on to you. I did not write this nwoods did and he knows his stuff when it comes to LR3s he has a website www.nextstepdesigns.com

Ask about the battery age. Check the brakes, check carefully the tires, ask for replacement tires to anything but the Goodyear Wrangler HP's. if they won't change, plan on budgeting for that soon. Ask about TSB service related to sunroof drain tubes, gas tanks, transmission lurch, and air suspension/compressor upgrades. Check to make sure the stereo CD player will injest and then properly eject the CD's. Have a full alignment done prior to your taking delivery.

That's it. Look for those things to have been done, and then you are good to go. Consider the extended warranty though (if available). I generally recommend buying a Certified Pre Owned Lr3 with the warranty. Piece of mind is good to have.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:02 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks drzjoint, great info. Honestly, we came from a VW Passat wagon a while back and it seems to be a similar situation - unbelievable drive (I really liked the way the Passat 4Motion drove) but drainage, tranny, and gas tank issues. In fact we had to junk ours because the gas tank needed to be replaced; I ended up selling it to my mechanic for pretty much what I owed because I didn't want to deal with it.

So that rules out a private party sale, the one I want that's been hanging out there is not a Certified Pre Owned, and I'm sure CPO goes for more $$. I'll start a search though and see what I come up with on the LR website. If you're a second owner can you "make" the car certified pre owned by paying for a warranty through the dealership if it's still under a factory warranty? I know BMW does not let you do this as a second owner.

Why are Goodyear Wrangler's "the" tire for this vehicle? Are those stock; I am hearing that stock tires on these cars are no good?

Thanks again!
Frank

Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I think you can buy the warrantee if you are the second owner
alot of guys are getting one thru ford (search around you shold find a thing on it) not up on it since I got one thru my dealer it is a non LR brand I would have to DIG thru my paper work to remember the details. All I remember is he told me it covered the air suspension system.