Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Removed the turtle from the exhaust (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/removed-turtle-exhaust-85013/)

spannermonkey 07-08-2017 04:28 PM

Removed the turtle from the exhaust

So decided today to remove the turtle from the exhaust system today as like may I love that the LR3 is a great vehicle with so much ability, yet stock is sounds like a moped or a sewing machine!!!!

So after a bit of time cutting the turtle out, adding in some new pipe - it now sounds like a V8. Nothing to loud inside or out and actually I would say it has a nice rumble now, unless you give it some and then......well....:D:D:D:D.

Having a problem uploading videos,so have done as 3 different posts due to the file sizes are, first are before removal of the turtle. Then the same stretch of road, same gear and you can hear the difference. The final is just music to my ears.

spannermonkey 07-08-2017 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
video 1 before removal

spannermonkey 07-08-2017 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
after removal

spannermonkey 07-08-2017 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the outside after removal

Best4x4 07-08-2017 05:59 PM

Yep it reminds me of a Jaguar F-Type when ya give it the beans after the turtle is removed. I know uppity people love a quiet ride, but muting a V8 to sound like a Prius is just wrong to me. I'm a gearhead, motorhead, and the sound of a V8 is music to my ears.

I yanked that turtle off within 2 days of buying my 06 HSE and it's the best thing I've done to it. Slap it over into Manual mode, and downshift to 3rd and it sounds so sweet on a 35-45MPH stretch of road. Getting onto a freeway or passing someone brings a smile to my face. Who needs a 160K AMG G-Wagon when ya just gotta remove a stupid turtle shaped resonator? lol

It does not sound hacked or like a cheap exhaust job with a cherry bomb. It reminds me of how a Magnaflow is supposed to sound. Quiet when around town or cruising, but step on it, and it sounds like it means business.

houm_wa 07-09-2017 09:51 PM

This all sounds great....but let's not kid ourselves, it does NOT sound like an F-Type!!!

Best4x4 07-10-2017 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by houm_wa (Post 611768)
This all sounds great....but let's not kid ourselves, it does NOT sound like an F-Type!!!

Is your turtle gone? Have you gone wide open throttle?

It's very similar to an F-Type DOHC V8 sound. Of coarse it is not gonna sound exactly like an F-Type geez. I clearly said it "reminds me" of an F-Type.... It certainly doesn't sound like a stock typical LR either...

The LR3 doesn't have an "Active Exhaust" button so it will never sound identical to an F-Type unless you install some type of electric cut outs on the exhaust. For 20.00 removing the middle resonator certainly lets you hear the same DOHC V8 note (especially at WOT). If you swapped out the muffler for a Magnaflow, and removed the resonators on both exhaust tips it would be even louder, but I don't want 100% F-Type sound on my LR3 as my wife & kids are in it.

houm_wa 07-10-2017 12:10 PM

Dude I was just playing along with your hyperbole....anyway, I have not removed the turtle. I've always been tempted to, but would want to hear what it would sound like in-person both inside and outside and on a long trip. I like the idea of really hearing the V8, but would want to avoid any drone on a long trip.

Best4x4 07-10-2017 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by houm_wa (Post 611817)
Dude I was just playing along with your hyperbole....anyway, I have not removed the turtle. I've always been tempted to, but would want to hear what it would sound like in-person both inside and outside and on a long trip. I like the idea of really hearing the V8, but would want to avoid any drone on a long trip.

No problem, it isn't bad at all. When just cruising around it sounds maybe as loud as a stock 5.3L V8 Tahoe. Then if ya give it the beans it sounds like you jumped into an F-Type/AMG Black. It really has a nice burble to it. My wife used to drive an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8 that I had slapped a flowmaster on and she loved it, and my newborn at the time always fell instantly asleep in it. Then I got the LR3 and my wife actually said it's kinda quiet with a sad face. So that settled it and I had my friend remove it at his shop. Brought it back home, let my wife drive it and she was all smiles and my now 5 year is going weeeeeee whooooo from the back seat.

I've taken it on a few long trips since and once you're cruising she's nice and quiet, but if you gotta pass someone it wakes up for sure. I now have a 6 month old little one and she falls asleep like my oldest did.

houm_wa 07-10-2017 02:25 PM

well why don't ya drive on up to Seattle and we can take it for a spin! ;)