LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A small piece of LR3 specific off road advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A small piece of LR3 specific off road advice...

Most of us know about extended and super extended mode and some of us know you can trick the truck into these modes..

Why would you do that? how about an extra 2-4" of lift...

So the piece of advice.. DONT DO IT!!!

Why not?

Extended and super extended mode are to get you out of a bind you got into in off road mode.. If you start in extended or super extended mode and get in a bind.. you're toast.

I figured this out the hard way when I got high centered in super extended mode, my winch broke(cable pulled out of the roll and frayed, I spent 8 hours trying to get unstuck, failed, wife came over an hour to get me, new winch cable, and playing musical cars for 2 days(leaving one because I didn't have a ride). My body hurts head to toe and I have cuts all over my arms/hands(digging,feeding wire through the bumper)

Start in off road mode and use them when needed to escape a situation and not to attack it.

The other is never depend on your winch.. Common sense tip I hear all the time but chose to ignore this day(left hilift at home).

Old 06-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Additionally I don't like running around in extended mode when I don't need it just because it's harder on the CVs. I always drop out of it for regular trail use. Of course I'm running rods so I'm already 2.5" over normal.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The real pro tip -- If you're off roading, bring a 2nd truck. I never go it alone in one truck -- too many things can go wrong. Misreading a depth of a puddle, high centered as you found... or even if the truck dies for something unexpected. I too, learned the hard way.

Swamped.

This is where I got it winched back to the night prior before giving up for the night. It's about 8" deep on the right side, but it has a very quick drop off to the left that I was unable to get out of once I was in. That experience cost me about $3500, I can't imagine how much it would have been with my LR3...

Dave aka Ghan

Old 06-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default question...

my new to me '06 LR3 has oversized tires and looks like has been programmed to stay in extended mode with a body lift to accommodate those tires but susp. fault is on ...do I need to add the extended rods to get the susp. light off?
Thanks

Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Roverrrgirl
my new to me '06 LR3 has oversized tires and looks like has been programmed to stay in extended mode with a body lift to accommodate those tires but susp. fault is on ...do I need to add the extended rods to get the susp. light off?
Thanks
Check the suspension rods to check if they've been modified and consider purchasing the IIDtool so you can check the calibration, reset, change,etc.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWesson
Check the suspension rods to check if they've been modified and consider purchasing the IIDtool so you can check the calibration, reset, change,etc.
suspension rods are original...thats why Im thinking they need to be changed to make susp. computer happy...?

Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

@MrWesson I don't see how your advice would have helped in your particular situation, as described, unless being at standard Off-Road height would have prevented you from even attempting the obstacle. If it was large enough to ground the LR3 at super extended height, it wouldn't matter if the vehicle started in off-road, extended, super-extended...or Access for that matter. Max height is max height and I don't know that sitting an inch or two higher really gives people that much false-confidence that they'd then go try obstacles that they wouldn't otherwise try (at standard off-road height).

In general your advice is good though. I only run the IIDTool to clear my 32s....and even then, if it's not a legit trail I keep it in "standard Off-Road height." Example this past weekend, I was in Hell's Canyon (Oregon) on an overlanding trip. We sent from Hat Point to Lord Flat. This is NOT a technical trail...it was scenic and only had a few sections that were a bit tougher. I didn't even bust out the IIDTool for that one. Only need it when articulation will cause rubbing.