Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Snow n Ice Mode terrible in snow (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/snow-n-ice-mode-terrible-snow-71742/)

RAJOD 02-02-2015 08:20 AM

Snow n Ice Mode terrible in snow

I usually just leave my LR3 on standard mode. We had like 8 inches of new snow and I turned the dial to the snow mode to test it. OMG got stuck a bunch of times. I would push the gas pedal and it would not move much. Seems that mode is more for ice. In deep snow as soon as tire spins it must be putting the breaks on. Almost like torque breaking the car. Is that what is going on? Its putting the breaks on all 4 tires? As soon as I put it back to the normal mode on the dial I had instant power and never came close to getting stuck. So is the best mode for snow the normal mode? or is there a better setting? It sure is not what the dial says. I think that ice mode might be good on a highway with ice on it. it might prevent the car from spinning out.

Jagfixer 02-02-2015 09:17 AM

Did you have DSC on or off?

thorgal 02-02-2015 10:29 AM

READ ON, it is not too late ..

GRASS GRAVEL SNOW (firm base , icy, slippery top ,) work well in heavy rain as well as ice and hard packed snow.

If Low Range is selected, ride height is raised and Hill Descent Control is activated
Differentials are PARTIALLY LOCKED
Engine pickup is softer, reducing sudden bursts of power.
Auto transmission upshifts early.
Sets off in Second Gear, High Range or Third Gear, Low Range
Stability systems primed to cut any slip or slide

MUD RUTS (soft uneven muddy ground, wet and soggy sand) also works well in relatively deep snow.

Hill Descent Control is selected
Differentials are partly locked
Low Range is preferred, but not automatically recommended
If Low Range selected, ride height is raised (NB requires manual activation if trailer attached)
Transmission shifts early, remaining in higher gears for longer

SAND (soft and dry also deep gravel):Works well in some situations, when deep powdery snow is in your way.

If Low Range selected, ride height is raised (NB requires manual activation if trailer attached)
Throttle is responsive to acceleration
Transmission downshifts readily
Traction and stability systems allow for increased wheel slip
Switch off DSC if extremely soft and dry

ROCK CRAWL (wet or dry solid unyielding ground – Rocky river crossings):

Low range must be selected
Differentials are locked
Ride height is raised (NB requires manual activation if trailer attached)
Slowest speed for Hill Descent Control is selected
Allows extreme suspension articulation
Sets off in first gear
Stability systems primed to cut any slip or slide.

Ultimately , it is up to a driver's skill and experience to come out safe and sound out of most of the situations , as computers help only to the point. In MUD RUTS and SAND modes , it is usually beneficial to manually DISENGAGE a DSC .

houm_wa 02-02-2015 10:58 AM

That's exactly it, RAJOD, what Thorgal says in his last sentence. It's not the vehicle.

1. Tires - Until I got legit tires I never knew what the LR3 could do.
2. Grass/Gravel/Snow works better for packed snow like on a highway. For either deep snow or snow on a trail (where the terrain underneath is not smooth/level) it's better to use Mud 'n Ruts and turn off DSC.

...and of course you should be in 4-Lo. Not just for the low end torque but to maintain constant control of the vehicle.

RAJOD 02-03-2015 01:16 PM

Lol has nothing to do with the driver in this situation.

I don't think I was clear.

I was comparing regular default mode (when you get in the car) high range and turn the knob to the first picture that looks like snow.

In this mode the car would not move much in deep snow, it was not stuck as in spinning the tires like crazy it was the opposite. It was almost if I put my foot on the break and pressed the gas at the same time. Had no power.

In standard mode I get much more power in the deep snow and the tires actually can spin.

So I think it should be called ICE more. It would be ok for ice because as soon as the tires spin it takes power off the wheel. This is not good in deep snow at all.

What is dsc? I just left it as default when you get into car and start it up. nothing fancy.

I can out drive any of you turds :)

jafir 02-03-2015 05:11 PM

It cuts the throttle too, or at least makes it less responsive.

DSC is stability control, supposed to keep the back of the car behind the front of the car.

houm_wa 02-03-2015 05:27 PM

...bring it on, RAJOD! :)

It is indeed the driver, because in this case he doesn't know how to set up his Rover for the terrain he is in!!!

The Mode is called "Grass/Gravel/Snow" for a reason. It's for packed surfaces that are slippery. Indeed you could throw ice in there. However, it's not good for deep stuff. Like I said, use Mud 'n Ruts for that, LO-RANGE!!! and turn the DSC off. There is a little button for that, on the front of the console. I think it's two switches over from the hazard lights, if I remember correctly.

Only point here homie, is that "snow 'n ice mode" ain't terrible as your post title suggests...mainly because it doesn't exist. It's Grass/Gravel/Snow and it sounds like it's working exactly as intended.

Have fun experimenting and getting better at driving your LR3. Hahahahaha..... :)

I'm glad you're a good sport; I thought I was too tough on you perhaps.

RAJOD 02-04-2015 08:52 PM

Oh I don't care if you poke fun at me. I don't really use my LR3 to its fullest.

I don't really know which mode on that dial is best for a given situation. I can.

When I went on a offroad thing with the dealership they had us put the car in low and maybe mud n ruts. I could not stand the autobreaking it did.

I turned them all off and went manual (least computer involved)

I ended up out climbing the guide, and never got stuck or defeated on any hills.

But I use to race MotoX bikes and snowmobiles so I don't have the fear thing going like they had.

I like full power and no cpu and I do the driving and breaking. I like to feel the car working.

houm_wa 02-04-2015 09:23 PM

Cool. The best set-up, in my opinion for most off-road situations is to be in 4-Lo and in Mud 'n Ruts with DSC off. I will occasionally turn off HDC too as you suggest, but on a hill climb it's actually handy to have HDC on in case you fail the climb and have to go down in Reverse. HDC works in reverse and that's a nice feature. Also if a hill is very steep and has uneven terrain HDC is good because it will act as a torque-arrester when the wheels sink into potholes and would otherwise spin freely. Agree that HDC is otherwise too aggressive...

jafir 02-04-2015 09:56 PM

The hdc is adjustable on the LR3. You can go faster or slower using the cruise control buttons.