LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Special programs off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:07 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special programs off

Hello I am in need of any kind of help or advice pertaining to my lr3 with 80k miles. After having my transmission serviced, upon returning from the shop my air ride failed. The back fell first, then the front all the way to the bump stops I towed the truck home and researched forums for a couple of days before I made my first move.

I checked the battery it had a 85% charge and battery tested fine.
Second I changed the brake light switch even though it didn't have signs of arching. Also I checked fuses and it still did not work so I took it to a shop and they said that the compressor failed, I replaced the compressor with a used tested one. Special programs are still off and air ride is still out. I tried an hard ecu reset and still nothing. I am running out of ideas any help will be helpful.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Can you tell us more about the faults and/or indications that you are seeing? Does the compressor turn on and try to raise it? Is there a red fault indication? Is there any moisture on your floorboards? Did your center console get rained on (sunroof open) or have water/coffee/soda/beer spilled on it?

This could be electrical, or it could be a faulty sensor or a calibration issue. Could also be a leak in the EAS.

The following users liked this post:
Kimosabi10 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 12:44 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has the red triangle and on and it says no special programs and air suspension fault. It doesn't raise at all and no moisture on floor boards and sun roof was cracked a little rain got in but I have spilled water on the operation switch before but it was at least 2 months ago. It locks in low and high the parking break still works.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Does the compressor turn on?

Old 01-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Were the people that you took it to for transmission work familiar with Land Rovers? I used to hear stories of shops lifting the trucks by putting one of the lift arms directly underneath the compressor. A big no-no and obviously more or less destroys the EAS compressor. If the error occurred immediately after receiving it back from the shop, I would check the big black plastic box directly in front of your driver's side rear wheel and see if there are any cracks or signs that the vehicle was lifted there.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issue. If you're lucky it could dry out and work or you could have to replace all the switches in that area (if at all water related). Due to the more common occurrences of spills there and people telling horror stories of getting it wet, I really need to have a waterproof cover made for the center console array...

Try reflashing the ECU's involved? A reset is good but I can't imagine it helping all that much. Agree with Houm, it could definitely be sensor or calibration. These areas really throw a fit if something goes wrong.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It would be helpful if you could pull codes so we could know what sort of errors you really have. It sounds like you probably don't do a lot of work on the truck yourself, but even so something like the GAP diagnostics iiD tool is a great investment for any LR3 owner if only so you can better diagnose things like this, not to mention all the other stuff you can do with it.

It's possible you simply need to clear the faults and reset everything. Since I always do that with my GAP tool I'm not sure of the procedure w/o it. I also suspect the compressor didn't just happen to fail when you got the truck back from the transmission shop. It's possible, but it's also possible they accidentally did something like lift the truck by it and crush it, or somehow managed to confuse the height sensors while it was on the rack, etc. Or it may have been fine all along and just needed some errors cleared out of the system so the computer would re-engage the compressor.

One last thought- do you have lift rods installed? If so, try jacking the truck up a few inches to get it off the bumpstops then re-start it. Or re-install the stock rods and try. Depending on the exact calibration of each sensor sometimes they can be driven out of range when on the bumpstops which will prevent the computer from engaging the compressor and give you the error you see on the dash now.

I suspect you don't have anything majorly wrong. The computer's default mode when even the slightest thing happens seems to be full-panic and drop to the bumpstops. Very annoying to say the least. See if you can get us the codes; write them down for reference, then clear them and see if things are happy again.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy

Couple things: Don, I don't agree that the EAS' default mode for the slightest thing is bumpstops. Many things cause it to let air out (maybe going to normal) but to my knowledge only two things cause it to go to bumpstops: cross-articulation faults and dead-compressor.

Next, the OP hasn't confirmed whether or not the new-used compressor tries to turn on and tries to raise it or not. Also, he's stated that the spilled water on the console, so I think that may be part of the problem.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't even remember all the things that have happened to mine over the years that put it on the bumpstops. Any error that resulted in a red warning light on the dash puts it there. Extra special annoying.