LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying an LR3 - What should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Of course there are super-hot wives....but they are not usually the high-maintenance type!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appreciation

I just wanted you guys to know exactly how much I appreciate all your comments. They've been more than helpful in making decisions.

I didn't want to post and run without voicing my thanks. You all have a wonderful community. MAYBE one day I'll be a part of it. Who knows - we'll see.

Thanks again,

Old 12-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good advice given here. I'm on my third LR and like them a lot. I know far less than others here buy have lot of experience paying for Rover fixes. I currently drive an LR3. In addition to what these guys said, you may consider one IF you can find the following:

- A relatively low mileage one, single owner, maintenance records, reasonable price
- Can find a company to give you a comprehensive extended warranty (this is relaly really insurance) - there are several of these available - you need to do some research
- If you have records, check to see if some of the likely-to-fail items have been replaced

Under these two conditions it may not be a terrible idea to get one. Perhaps check with the LR dealer to see which extended warranty they sell and then check with the service guys to see how well they cover items common to the LR3. Most people will tell you these are a rip-off, and they can be. I had two factory short blocks replaced on my Discovery under extended warranty. It's the best $2K I ever spent.

If you can get an LR3 for $12K and pay $3500 for a warranty that covers fixes, you may be ok, depending on how many miles it covers.

If nothing has been replaced there's a more than reasonable chance you'll need to replace the rear diff ($1500-3K), the suspension air pump (~$1K), the lower control arms ($1000-15000), and maybe the front diff ($3500? - not sure how common this is).

The only good news is that IF this have already been replaced you could be looking at vehicle where most major items have already been repaired. Seems unlikely you'll find one. The other good news (kind of) is that prices for them are down, at least in my area.

You have to really want one of these to drive one. A Odyssey or Pilot will be far less costly to maintain and far more trouble free.

My wife and I both love LRs. When she was looking for a new truck several months ago we looked everything. I mean everything. She ended up buying a 4Runner and could not be happier with it. Would she prefer to be driving an LR4? Probably. Does she appreciate the reliability, features, confidence she gets from it? Absolutely. It's no Rover, and I much prefer driving my LR3. But I would very happily drive it.