LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick during cold start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tick during cold start

I live in the high desert and after returning from a trip in the mountains I have noticed a tick sound during a cold start. During the summer time (highs in the 120) there was no sound during start up, but now that its winter (30s) I get a tick sound. Doesn't last more then 5 seconds. Ive heard a few suggestions to this but I decided to post a clip of the sound to see if anyone knows. Friend of mine said it might be the oils thickness. Its just to thick for the winter time, anyone? I'm going to try a sea-foam clean to see if that will fix the problem. Any advice would be great. This is my first Rover and I love her to death, would hate to see her fail on me.

2005 Land Rover LR3 cold start - YouTube

Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You might consider an oil change to 5W40 Rotella or other synthetic, the 5 part gets the oil pressure up faster in cold weather.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Drifting

I am due for an oil change, I was thinking of changing the brand too. Maybe Mobile 1 or AMS oil. I haven't heard of Rave but will give it a shot. The sound in the clip isnt as bad as normal. I will post another one later on to let everyone see what it sounds like. Thanks for the suggestion Savannah...any guess on what it is?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

RAVE manual set does not include LR3. I believe you can get to it on line with the LR site, but there may be a fee.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick during cold start

Hello All. I got my '08 LR3 a few weeks back. Just loving it. I also have the same tick during start problem, however she was serviced in December at the agents, so i dont suspect an oil issue??? Is this something to worry abt. It also lasts a few seconds and then normal. I live in JHB (so the weather issue can be discounted) and this occurs every time i start her.

Kind Regards

Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Deven, It doesnt seem to be a worry just yet. I have read on the Jaguar posts that its pretty common. From what I gather, its either the oil or the timing chain tensioner. Im due for an oil change soon so I will see if that works. Im also gonna do a C foam application right before the oil change just for the added measure. I will post if it gets better. If its the tensioner, its a bit more complicated, since from what I gather there is 4 of them. Anyone got some more info on this? is it 2 or 4 tensioners for the timing chain?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Drifting

FYI, this is what I got form the Jaguar forms about the Rover engine noise.

Tensioners / Chains have different symptoms from VVT unit/ solenoid valve function.
1.Tensioners / Chains Most probable cause
Ticking noise that is heard on intial COLD start up caused by the chain slaping on the Upper tensioners. If this noise last a 5 to ten seconds Do Not Worry about it. If the Noise last a couple of minutes it is STILL the Chain slaping on the upper tensioners __ This will eventually Result in a FAILURE of the WEAR PAD on the UPPER tensioners. THE Ticking Noise will Last longer and Longer.

If the Ticking Noise seems to be coming from the timing chain cover area and is more constant after the engine is warmed up -The timing chain guides are cracked.

THE Above conditions will not give you a check engine light or code....... until the TENSIONER FAILS and Results in an ENGINE FAULT.

2. VVT/solenoid Valve. -This affects engine performance and milage
About 2 minutes after the Vehicle is started. The EMS/computer will activiate the VVT Solenoid.Valves on both banks...
OPEN the Bonnet/Hood START the engine - WITHIN 2 Minutes -STAND NEAR the front of the engine and listen carefully you should hear a very AUDIBLE CLICK or CLACK THAT CLACK is the opening of the Solenoid supplying oil pressure to the VVT UNITs.

THE VVT UNITs control the cams for improved engine performance

If the VVT unit is not properly functioning or the Solenoid does not operate within 2 minutes you should get a Check engine Light and Fault Code.. Sometimes the code will not show til you have driven wiith a little hard throttle.