Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   In town fuel mileage (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/town-fuel-mileage-71285/)

nicksrover 01-06-2015 11:30 AM

In town fuel mileage

I have just finished replacing a 4.4 in my rover and I have been starting to drive it a little. I am seeing a decent 18-21 on the highway if driven very carefully. In town though, cruising at 25 and being very careful with the pedal, I am seeing a lousy 6-9 mpg!! Is this normal. To get this I am resetting the guage and only driving around town. This is not a combination.

As far as the highway goes I get the 18-21 when 55-60mph. Not sure about 65-70, but probably not that.

TOM R 01-06-2015 12:53 PM

wife gets 11.8 city

drew888 01-06-2015 03:03 PM

Maybe it needs to break in more and loosen up a bit, I dunno.

Personally I see 15+ if I am superlight on the throttle around town. If I drive it as I'd like to I get around 13.

nicksrover 01-06-2015 04:57 PM

One thing is, I still have a engine system fault show up. No engine light, or codes, but it comes up when the car is started. I need a Hawkeye or something along that line. Problem may be exposed with some better scan equip

Also do you guys have numbers show up when you start the car? I have 2 different ones -60475 and 710. I am wondering if these are codes

Like Drew said it is a new motor so I dont expect it to be great mileage, but hopefully better than that

nicksrover 01-06-2015 05:09 PM

also the codes are on the mileage window, and only once on start-up

kukusya 01-07-2015 07:13 AM

12 city and 17 hwy. So how do you get 21 mpg, do you mostly drive down hill?

jafir 01-07-2015 09:31 AM

It means you've gone 60,000 miles since your last service at the dealer :)

houm_wa 01-07-2015 11:14 AM

@kukusya: It is perfectly feasible to get 21 in the LR3 on the freeway as Nick describes. The key is to manage accelerations, be very gentle with the gas pedal and don't go much faster than 60 or 70 MPH.

Also be sure to re-set the mileage calculator when you get on the freeway so that your average isn't skewed by the previous around-town numbers.

@Nick: I'm not sure why or how your around town mph is 6-9. Hell I get that in 4-Lo!

bbyer 01-07-2015 08:52 PM

Weather cold?

I do not know if my in town mileage is that poor but it would not surprise me.

With the cold weather and slippery streets like we have these days, I have the terrain control set to the snow flake and when I do that, I can watch my gas gauge drop as I drive. Yes, there is that big a difference between the slippery setting and normal for my city driving mileage that I really notice it.

Maybe your terrain system is stuck in the slippery zone even if it is not displaying as such. In the slippery zone, the gas pedal on my 3 drives as if it is a North American pickup, hence if you are used to driving pickups, you may not even notice. In fact, it might even feel comfortable as jackrabbit starts are not possible.

rovernoob 01-08-2015 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by houm_wa (Post 498639)
@kukusya: It is perfectly feasible to get 21 in the LR3 on the freeway as Nick describes. The key is to manage accelerations, be very gentle with the gas pedal and don't go much faster than 60 or 70 MPH.

Also be sure to re-set the mileage calculator when you get on the freeway so that your average isn't skewed by the previous around-town numbers.

@Nick: I'm not sure why or how your around town mph is 6-9. Hell I get that in 4-Lo!

Not unusual for me to get 21-23 mpg on long drives. And yup...going 55-68-ish, easy on the acceleration, scan way ahead for potential slow downs.