LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission acting up, just topped fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
My LR tech said when they have experienced unexplained fluid loss, they have punctured the sleeve and fluid will come pouring out. Apparently, the sleeve can hold quite a bit of fluid till it starts spilling out over the top...

$.02
Looking at the sleeve I have (bought one just to be ready since they often leak) I can't really see how it's possible for the sleeve to hold fluid. It's just a plastic cylinder with some seals that screws into the mechatronics unit. The end on the outside where the wires connect is just open, so no place for fluid to collect.

If you did punch a hole in it, I wouldn't be surprised if fluid came out, since that would be a direct hole into the oil pan area.

Maybe they meant somewhere else in the transmission where fluid can collect?

Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Winching

Driving the truck this morning it displayed some more strange behavior. Backing out of a parking space, switching from Reverse to Drive, I put it into Drive but it was not in gear. Hit the gas and the engine just revved up. I had to move it out and back in again.

Later in the drive, I took a left hand turn onto a side street and as I went to apply the gas, the engine revved up again. I didn't need to move the selector lever this time, I just lifted off the gas and when I pushed again it was in gear.

I'm not sure what to do at this point besides check the fluid level again for the third time. It might be time to take it to the dealer.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Did you figure out whether you were leaking after the last "fill up"?
If so, then before refilling, I would carefully examine the transmission to try and figure out where you're leaking from. I would pay special attention to the fill plug, the mechatronics sleeve and the vent tube (I think this comes out on the driver's side about 2/3 of the way forward on the tranny).

If you're leaking from the mechatronic sleeve, you probably want to take it to a shop. That's a big job. If you're leaking from the fill plug, I would probably buy a new plug AND use some Permatex Hi-Temp Thread Sealant on it when you install it. Not sure how much of a pain it would be to change the o-ring if you're leaking from the vent tube.

If low fluid isn't the cause of the issue, then I'm not really sure what advice to give. If it were the result of overheating, you should get a warning message on the dash, though I think I read something once about a problem with the radiator where somebody was getting coolant into the tranny fluid or something like that...

The following users liked this post:
djkronik57 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Winching

Thanks cmb6, I was thinking along the same lines. It seemed to be leaking from the fill plug last time and that's why I asked about if the plug had any sort of sealing washer. The LR instructions keep referencing replacing the sealing washer, but every part diagram I look at there is only the plug. Then I realized there IS a sealing washer, it just isn't shown anywhere. You're supposed to replace the plug (which comes with a new washer) whenever you remove it. I thought I just hadn't tightened the plug enough, but I think it is missing the washer or it is worn out. The LR instructions say there is a washer, but there wasn't one I could see when I took mine off:

8. Remove the transmission fluid filler/level plug.
^ Clean the area around the filler/level plug. ^ Remove and discard the sealing washer. 9. If no fluid loss is apparent when the filler/level plug is removed, with the engine at idle, continue to fill the transmission until a small thread of oil runs from oil filler/level hole. 10. Install the transmission fluid filler/level plug and tighten to 35 Nm (26 lb.ft). ^ Install a new sealing washer. ^ Remove the container.

I think I must be leaking from the fill plug. Everything I read says that falling out of drive is a symptom of low fluid, and I know I had the right fluid level in it when I checked, so it must be leaking.

Next step is to order a new fill plug, check and top up again (I'll be an expert at it) and see if that fixes the issue.

Last edited by djkronik57; 11-03-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't touch the fluid anymore until you read this! I hope this solves yours... it is likely NOT the fluid or a trans issue. From what you said, it sounds like the linkage is binding. Mine does this, and I was about to change the fluid and all when I noticed something odd. When it "slipped", I saw the "D" on the dashboard go away. The transmission linkage might be binding and not letting you fully get into Drive. Does it usually happen after a stop? Watch your dash while coming to a stop. If you see the D go away, it is likely the issue. Try driving over in Sport and see if it happens. I can feel in the shifter when it is more likely to do this to me as it will feel a bit tight putting it into drive.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Again... hope this solves you having to dig further. Here is my post where I figured it out at the end>
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...o-often-80387/

Old 11-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Winching

Thanks, I did actually remember your post when it happened the first time and unfortunately I don't think the D on the dash went away, and moving over to sport mode and trying to shift a few gears did nothing either. That was when I definitely did have a leak from the drain plug and I ended up being about a 1/2 quart low.

The plan tomorrow is to get under there, see if there are any obvious leaks. If not, I'll hit the linkage with some grease as that usually buys some time if that's the issue. If there are leaks, check and top off the fluid and replace the drain plug with a new one and some thread sealant.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Winching

Looks like it might have leaked a bit more, so I did check the fluid level but it seemed alright (steady stream of drips at 35C). I added about 1/6th of a quart just to top off what had dripped out. I checked out the fill plug and the sealing washer was completely flattened and worn out. I replaced it with a new one and used some thread sealant.

I did try putting some forward pressure on the selector lever while in Drive and sure enough it does pop out of drive fairly easily. I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the pivot point which should hopefully hold me over until I can get the parts to replace it with new. It does look pretty rusty.

Hopefully I've fixed the issue, at least I know my transmission fluid isn't low and my transmission isn't on the way out!

Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Winching

Well, the leak continues. I thought for sure it was the worn out drain plug seal, but I'm still getting a hand-sized puddle under the truck after sitting a few days. I'm planning on taking it in to my mechanic on Thursday. I can't tell where it is leaking from, but it's definitely somewhere on the rear of the transmission, and the mechatronics sleeve looks too dry to be the culprit, but who knows.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

That sucks Just out of curiosity, does it leak any more out the back when you park on an incline with your nose up? When my sleeve started leaking, it didn't seem to leak while parked level, but it definitely did when I had the front end jacked up or when I parked on a steep incline (nose up).

Quick Reply: Transmission acting up, just topped fluid