Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Transmission Doing Strange Things (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/transmission-doing-strange-things-86889/)

spannermonkey 11-11-2017 09:35 PM

Transmission Doing Strange Things

What I have noticed in the past week or so is that the tranny only drops a few revs when it shifts up to a higher gear. Again it does not appear to be slipping, more a case of the revs are not dropping. If I hold a gentle throttle the tranny does then settle down to a lower speed. If I am a little more hard on the throttle, it does not do this, which I why I say it does not seem to be slipping, just not dropping revs when moving to a higher gear, but only if I am gentle on the throttle.

Could this have anything to do with the adaptions - still reading up on how these work.

houm_wa 11-13-2017 01:12 PM

I'd suggest clearing the adaptations and seeing if that helps...

djkronik57 11-13-2017 03:23 PM

How do you know it is shifting if the revs are not dropping? Or do you mean in manual mode and you try to shift, the number changes in the instrument cluster but it takes a second for the revs to drop? (that's pretty normal by the way, it's not a DSG or performance oriented transmission)

spannermonkey 02-13-2018 08:12 AM

Well order placed for a GAP tool today.

djkronik57 02-13-2018 09:36 AM

The behavior in 3rd is completely normal (if I'm interpreting it right). For example, accelerating steadily, it'll shift to 3rd and then engine revs will dip slightly (200-300rpm) a couple seconds after (even with steady accelerator input) and then recover. This was explained somewhere else as the torque converter locking up.

Still not sure what you mean about no drop in RMP between 2nd, 3rd, 4th. The RPM should drop when it shifts the the next gear.

houm_wa 02-13-2018 11:49 AM

How do you know that the tranny never selects 1st gear?

I don't doubt it, I have a theory that the software solution to the CA stop is one that makes the tranny want to always stay in 2nd or higher. Often when I manually select 1st gear it will pop right back into 2 depending on the RPMs. If there are enough RPMs it will hold 1st otherwise, say around 2000, it will pop back into 2. This only started happening after the software patch.

As for the behavior while driving you describe....are you sure you're not over-thinking it? The LR3 does what it wants. I convinced myself of that a long time ago.

spannermonkey 02-14-2018 06:15 AM

Thanks guys and I don't doubt the tranny does some strange things if it's own accord, so it's good to read about the lock up of the torque converter, That seems to make sense, but strange it only happens in 3rd.

As for the rom not dropping. That's exactly what happens. When in auto as it changes up the gears there is very little if any drop in rpm as each new gear selects. It's really hard to explain - so I will try to video tonight on way home.

As for selecting first. I am really familiar with the rpm band for each gear and know at which rpm you can move to the next and when it will automatically drop a gear when the rpm drop. I am fully confident it hardly ever drops to 1st.

EastCoast 02-14-2018 11:02 AM

I could be wrong but I believe that in normal all wheel drive configuration (on road selection) that it defaults to 2nd to start off from a stop. Only when you select other offroad programs does it utilize 1st gear for lower end torque.

djkronik57 02-14-2018 02:11 PM

I believe that is only Grass/Gravel/Snow that it defaults to a 2nd gear start. If you are completely stopped, it should use 1st unless, like Houm, you have the software upgrade for the California stop condition.

EastCoast 02-19-2018 07:48 PM

Thanx for the clarification DJ