LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:41 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 or V8

I am looking at buying a LR3. So, there are V6's & V8's. I do a lot of off-roading & does anyone have an opinion on whether the V6 will perform just as well as the V8 on difficult roads in the mountains?
Thanks

Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I don't know that the V6 is a deterrent off-road per se, but overall the V8 is preferred. It just feels better....more powerful, smoother, and the fuel economy is only slightly worse. The 4.4 seems to be a pretty great motor, as long as you don't overheat it.

The following users liked this post:
espresso man (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

V8 for the win. Around here, V6 models are rare anyway. The 4.4 V8 power plan seems to have less issues. And ditto on economy. If I drive gentle, I get over 21mpg in hilly areas. Which is better economy than it was rated for. Based on what I have read, economy over 20 is not uncommon. And I am still running factory spark plugs and O2 sensors at 110k.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Yup...I've gotten 22.5 between Seattle and Portland.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

V8 for the win

Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Meh... can't say you'd NEED the V8 for the kind of off roading we do here in Colorado. It's all at a crawling pace anyway. I think the biggest issue would be the elevation you're at which may make the V8 more desirable since you lose x amount of horsepower as you gain in elevation. I don't really dwell on the off roading power of the LR3 with all it's electronic driveline wizardry unless you're climbing a wall or some crazy stuff. Then you probably should have a winch anyway. The thing I have yet to try and wonder about the most with my V6 is the long drone up I-70 to the tunnels or coming back up Floyd hill loaded with a weeks worth of gear. That would be the test. I was surprised how well the V6 moves along down here on the flats (at 5,000' plus) and I'm assuming there is a certain amount of computer intervention that tries to make best of what little air we have to make power. I've had my V6 LR3 for 14 months and 13k miles and have not had the time to make the journey up I-70 loaded or empty. That's sad to admit. Planning a trip to Ouray & Telluride this September that will test the LR3 both on highway and the 12,000' elevation San Juan mountain passes. I did manage to spend some time on the Forest Service roads up at Bunce School Road in the LR3 and it felt more powerful (and a way better ride) than my mildly lifted Jeep Cherokee with the HO 4.0L. Definitely felt like it had more torque. Spent some time trying the different off road and suspension modes. Very impressed so far.
As far as reliability... can't say one would be better than the other. Plan on doing the V6 cam chain tensioners at 70k (easy to replace from outside the cylinder head) and then the internal ones and guides at 130k or so if they start rattling. It's nice to be able to buy off the shelf Ford parts for these engines (they're used in the Explorers and Rangers with a few Rover enhancements). The V8 isn't without it's problems either. Heat issues (not cool at our elevations! pun intended) the coddling of the injectors and barfing of oil into the intake plenum playing havoc with the throttle body, etc. I don't think you could go wrong in either instance if you find one with reasonable mileage with maintenance records. Allow $500 in your budget for an GAP IID tool if you plan on doing any repairs yourself or want to know whats going on as your driving and checking codes.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:18 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the v6 and have driven a v8. Would rather have the v8. My truck does fine on-road and off-road, but is a bit anemic. Mileage is rather poor, so not a win for the smaller motor.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:11 PM
Camel Trophy

"Coddling of injectors...barfing of oil?" WTF are you even talking about?

Use Non-Millenial logic, and standard English, please.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
"Coddling of injectors...barfing of oil?" WTF are you even talking about?

Use Non-Millenial logic, and standard English, please.
To help out--the v8 "spritzes" oil all over the intake plenum which causes all sorts of hell with the throttle body. All sorts of hell being gets dirty and needs to be cleaned on occasion.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Does it do this "spritzing" intentionally or due to some failure?

Quick Reply: V6 or V8