LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bbyer,

Thanks for the advice. I tried to check and double check all the obvious. Read many threads (some with pics) of the very problem you suggest. I'll check it again but was careful to ensure they all went back together correctly after all the other work.

After moving to Chicago, selling my car, and living without one, I kinda missed getting my hands dirty under the hood. One should be careful what they wish for when diving into LR ownership!! LOL My hands may never be clean again.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (04-10-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 07:17 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the A Pillar covers come off easy? How did you do it what tool did you use? Anything we need to be aware off that may break? Did you stick the original fabric back or did you recover the pillar?

Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it was very easy. Peel back the weatherstripping on the door, pop off the instrument panel's end panel, gently pry the plastic airbag cover and finally use a torx screwdriver, I think it was a T-27, to remove the panel. See attached.

I pulled the fabric back then hit the plastic with a light coat of spray-on adhesive, smoothed it with my hands and let it dry.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A Pillar Removal.pdf (66.0 KB, 127 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by clarkritchie:
bbyer (04-16-2017), edhammond (04-18-2017), GBR.R (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Nothing explodes?

I assume that there are air bags behind the A pillar cover?

That is what the airbag warning notice on that cover hiding the torx screw suggests.

I have had my windscreen replaced twice and nothing bad yet has happened with regards to the removal of the both A pillars covers, but I did wonder.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, and unfortunately I didn't save any photos of the airbag mechanism. Naturally I was worried about an airbag spontaneously going off while removing those torx screws! But it was pretty cut and dry how all that fits together once the cover was off. I've heard that delaminating A-pilar fabric is a common problem and this was an easy (and cheap) fix!

Old 04-16-2017, 02:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secured air compressor back to frame

lately I've noticed my air compressor being a little louder than usual. Looked under and pushed up to the plastic shroud. It muffled the noise and it felt loose.

low and behold, all 3 mounting screwed that hold the bracket onto the frame of the truck was free hanging.
the c-clip bolts all rotted out.

I was was able to find two of the 3 screws. Went to pep boys and got new c clip bolts.

The compressor is back on solid now. I can't believe the unit was just hanging being held in place by the plastic cover!!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Srene
lately I've noticed my air compressor being a little louder than usual. Looked under and pushed up to the plastic shroud. It muffled the noise and it felt loose.

low and behold, all 3 mounting screwed that hold the bracket onto the frame of the truck was free hanging.
the c-clip bolts all rotted out.

I was was able to find two of the 3 screws. Went to pep boys and got new c clip bolts.

The compressor is back on solid now. I can't believe the unit was just hanging being held in place by the plastic cover!!
looked at both my LR3's and thought why are you always broken! 😢

Old 05-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Overlanding

This thread needs more photos IMO...

Finally taking off the stock 19" with crap tires

Bye bye evil ones...

18"s with 285/60/18 General Grabbers

Yes yes yes

YES!

Old 05-02-2017, 05:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That's on my list! Already have the 18" 10 spoke. The picture in the garage, is the truck in standard height? Last question. Do you happen to know the diameter of the tires? Are they just under 31.5"

thanks!

Originally Posted by sjung213
This thread needs more photos IMO...

Finally taking off the stock 19" with crap tires

Bye bye evil ones...

18"s with 285/60/18 General Grabbers

Yes yes yes

YES!

Old 05-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Srene
Wow! That's on my list! Already have the 18" 10 spoke. The picture in the garage, is the truck in standard height? Last question. Do you happen to know the diameter of the tires? Are they just under 31.5"

thanks!
That last shot was with it in the extended mode.

I believe they are just around 31.5", which shouldn't rub a lot. If you do some search, you can easily find articles and threads about it but they are supposed to rub very very slightly in some cases. One thing to check, though, is a sensor line in the wheel house (just on the drivers side). This page will give you a better idea:

https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2010/1...ove-this-wire/

I had to do this but regardless, I'm personally looking forward to reflash the EAS to raise it a bit 3/4". Everyone seems to recommend the Johnson rods (and/or other rods) to raise up 2.5" but I'm afraid that might be too tall for the garages I usually park in.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?