Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Yet another noise (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/yet-another-noise-93780/)

TennRover 03-06-2019 08:27 PM

Yet another noise

2008 109k miles. Today I started hearing a loud metal on metal noise coming from the front left of the truck. I would explain the noise a rolling a piece of metal on another piece of metal- not a grinding but squealing really. The odd thing is it’s not constant. If I am driving in a straight line and I turn the wheel alight to the left the noise is louder but not if I turn it to the right. The noise will pop up more at lower speeds (under 30mph) or when coasting. My initial thought is the wheel bearing or hub

This make sense to anyone?

DakotaTravler 03-06-2019 09:44 PM

My guess is a hub also. I JUST started having this issue this week. We had a huge drop in temps, down in negative, and I have a lot of snow/ice build up on the chassis. So I though it was ice rubbing/grinding, especially since it went away later that day. But then it came back again after things warmed up during the week and after I removed most of the ice. So I started to suspect a brake pad issue. I have a brake pad light and figured I pushed em too far. Finally today I got the tire up, pretty clear its the hub. Wheel has some slop in it. I could drive it, but I garaged her until its fixed. So my poor BMW will be suffering some road salt now.

FYI, mine is also driver front. I will replace one now to get it back on the road, but I know I will have to replace the other shortly.

I have never had a bearing fail in this way. Usually its the "truck tire" noise or a rumbling. But even Atlantic British describes its a loud squealing noise. They have a good video on the replacement procedure.

Blackngold77 03-07-2019 10:30 AM

another vote for hub/bearing

nevillusa 03-07-2019 04:59 PM

Yes, I would guess wheel hub bearings are on the way out, especially at this mileage if not swapped out before. Try to swap both sides out at same time. Or when it gets more comfortably warm to do the other side!! I have swapped these out once, on my 08 LR3 and it wasn't difficult. I think I recall that the Hub and the Bearing came pre-pressed to each other, i.e. 1 piece, which was nice. The Rears are different though - Bearing and Hub are usually (maybe always?) 2 separate pieces. And of course you need to deal with the Parking Brake, which is apparently fun (and is on my to-do list).

Daniel-LR3 03-08-2019 07:52 AM

2008 LR3 109K as well here....
I just did the lower control arms and upgraded the calipers/Rotors to RRS Brembos. While that was out I noticed that the spindles were a bit rusty so I took them to be powder coated. Then decided that why not replace the Hubs since all of it was already apart. Was the right call, since the driver side has a bit of a play.. not really a lot but enough to replace it.
I did both of them of course... went with DuraGo aftermarket... had great reviews and were reasonably priced.
My friend bought the Timken and ended up to be fake and lasted 15K miles...

DakotaTravler 03-08-2019 10:13 AM

Keep us updated on The Durago brand. Not sure what reviews you read, but I did not find super excellent reviews when it came to longevity. On any other vehicle I may cut corners (Durago are only $70/per hub) but given the curb weight of the LR3 I decided on Timken. Timken is OEM and 100k is all they last anyway. I bought from Amazon because of the quick shipping. My hub will be here tomorrow. The reviews are mixed because of counterfeits, but the review system on Amazon has a huge flaw. All reviews go to one product page across all sellers. Meaning 10 sellers can sell an item, but there is only one review pool for that same item. So if 9 of those sellers are legit and one is passing fakes, it affects the reviews. So hopefully being that mine is fulfilled by Amazon, not a third party, it will be legit. If not I will get another from RockAuto. Same $155 price but much slower shipping for me. Then return the Amazon one. Fakes are not too hard to figure out.

EDIT: My Timken hub assembly arrived this morning from Amazon. $155. 100% authentic. Box has new security label and all the markings exist where they should and are proper. Time to get it installed!

Daniel-LR3 03-08-2019 11:39 AM

Thanks DT... That was my thought but when I read the reviews on Amazon on the Timken I got concerned. To your point, for me was a matter of timing, since the truck was on the lift. I did not see that RockAuto had the Timken and I wouldn't know how to spot a fake, so I went with the DuraGo.
The reviews [for DuraGo] were mostly on Amazon and some others at a Rover owners forum. I have 5 miles on them.. so..NO ISSUES YET!!!! :) I will keep an eye and report if any issues.

DakotaTravler 03-09-2019 10:05 PM

TennRover, I did my hub assembly install today. Did not go as planned, but I got it done. Amazing how differently the vehicle handles. I am certain there was lots of slop before it made noise. I just did not notice. I will do the other side shortly. I did create a basic post with some extra details on the process I used. Maybe some things in there will help you out.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...nt-tips-93823/

TennRover 03-11-2019 09:40 PM

Well got a call from my Indy shop. Good news is the wheel hub is fin and not causing the noise. Interesting news is that it was caused by a seized caliper on the front left wheel. Guess it’s a good thing the V8 has a decent amount of power to drive through it! In other news during a fluid change in the front diff discover metal shavings so that’s gone need for be replaced sometime in the future!

DakotaTravler 03-11-2019 09:57 PM

I wonder if the off-sided stress caused excessive wear on the diff? I don't know enough to say thats it, so take my comment with a grain of sand.