LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I replaced the water pump - Still leaking- questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:22 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I replaced the water pump - Still leaking- questions

So I used the Water Pump DIY and it was very helpful. Ran into a few rough patches but all in all it was pretty straight forward. I replaced the pump and got it all back together and filled with fluid and it started leaking again all over the shop floor. Couple of questions:

-Should I have used sealant on the gaskets? I did not but looking back perhaps I should have. There was no sealant on from the factory so I assumed I was good to go.
-Looking at the pump from the front it appears the leak is from the bottom left hand side but to the right of the lower T30 bolt.
-I also notices the small black plastic fitting that pushes into the water pump (the one many people have broken) is leaking a little bit. Has anyone found the replacement part number for this piece yet? Should I put a little sealant on this as well when I push it back in?
- Any other thoughts or things I should check?

Edit: I took the pump off again. When I reassembled I put a new o-ring/seal on the tube coming off the engine where the plastic tube plugs on. I put the other o-ring/seal on the smaller end of the plastic tube and then inserted the tube onto the motor. I made sure the gaskets were lined up and on correctly when I put the pump on. Torqued everything to spec and reconnected the hose to the water pump. I fulled the reservoir tank up again and it still is leaking considerably. I am 99% sure it is not from one of the gaskets/ports. It is basically coming from directly behind the pulley and running down the block. The galley where the tube plugs into the block is full of water/coolant. Was reading about a failing cross over tube under the intake manifold.
Any other ideas?

Last edited by PDXLR3; 05-21-2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: .