LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 lr4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 lr4

Just purchased a 2014 LR4 CPO with 26k miles. Had it maybe five weeks now and while driving it just died/stalled out. Lost power steering, everything just shut off which was quit scary! I Pulled over and it started right back up. Happened one other time that same day so I took it into LR service and they say the Battery failed the load test and that there is carbon buildup in the throttle. I've had no warning lights, no nothing.
The dealership I purchased from said they did 165pt inspection in addition to the 30k mile service so wouldn't these items have been checked/tested and/or replaced at that time?
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Battery could well be the issue. The electronics are sensitive to it. They can fail suddenly so possible it was ok when they did Cpo and it failed since. More likely they forgot...

I assume they will pay for it given its Cpo and so soon into ownership?

For carbon build up no idea if that's a check item for Cpo but I'd ask them to do it gratis as well and see what they think

Good luck. Once you have it running these are quite reliable so don't let the bad first experience put you off.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Maureen Fokos-Williams (09-26-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 PM
4wd Low

You are absolutely right, it was a bad battery and now running great! There was no charge at all, 100% covered. I've found a local shop with a 5 star review that works on Jags and Land Rovers so will take to them for a check on the carbon build up and engine filter- according to the guy I talked to today he stated that he would be surprised if either of these items needed replacement with only 26k miles on the vehicle.

He said almost the exact same thing you stated above about this being a reliable vehicle- said the 2014 was his favorite year. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing and that's one of the reasons I choose the 2014 so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Terrific - delighted to help. Enjoy the vehicle

I would not worry about carbon fowling at your mileage if you're not seeing any issues. Fine to have someone check it out. But doesn't sound like you have an issue

I would have them clear all the codes in the system though. That way if you have issues down the road you know the codes are fresh rather than a side effect of the battery

Happy driving!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:29 PM
4wd Low

Well it looks like I spoke too soon! Nearly caused an accident today when driving down the road and out of nowhere the engine completely stalled out again! One time and something like this could cause a fatality and I am on number three! Twice with my son being in the car with me- I really had hoped the battery had solved the problem but no such luck so back to the dealership I go tomorrow.

After doing some more research this evening, I found a few people have mentioned the auto stop/start feature being the problem. Have you/anyone heard this before?

I'm not familiar with how diagnostics work with LR however, wouldn't testing show there was/is a problem? The engine stalling out while at cruising speeds is not like the air conditioning going out, this is a very serious, life threatening issue. I don't even want to drive the vehicle at this point. If anyone knows anything about these issues, or what may be causing it, PLEASE let me know because I'm not real confident that the dealership will figure it out since they three days ago they told me it was a battery issue!

Thank you again.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not super familiar with the LR4 yet, but if they're like other cars with Stop/Start tech, there should be a defeat button or setting.

Have you tried to enable that defeat to see if there's a difference in behavior?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Could be a lot of things. You definitely need the dealer to do a full diagnostic, pull the codes and work it out. Could be the crank sensor failing - that can stop the engine. Could be fuel pump although I think you'd feel it stumbling and running rough before cutting out. Many other sensors on the system too

Have them pull the codes, work it out properly and fix it. And have them make really sure before they give it back to you - you definitely don't want it just cutting out...
Makes you wonder if the previous owner was having trouble. Ask them to see the previous maintenance history if they will show you

Old 09-26-2017, 06:24 PM
4wd Low

Yes that's exactly what I told them at the dealership today....I explained that I had it towed in because I didn't even want to take a chance driving it to them. He said they would check for error codes etc., I will hear more tomorrow.

The dealership I purchased it from will not return my emails/calls so I have gone straight to JLR North America since CPO's are supposed to have complete service records available. The dealership here informed me that the dealership I purchased my truck from should have given me a checklist that showed all the testing/work they had preformed for the CPO 165-pt inspection, which I never received. He also stated that JLR requires a buyer signature on that 165-pt inspection check sheet.

I'm thinking the very SAME thing in regards to the previous owner possibly having these issues and the fact that nobody from the dealership will return my calls or emails makes me even more suspicious! After a long in-depth conversation with my local service advisor, we were able to deduce that certain items, such as the eco stop/start was not tested because they let us drive off the lot without it working-I am really hoping that they are able to fix this issue, with 150% certainty because I really do love the truck. If they can't, unfortunately, my next call will need to be to an attorney.

It is really hard for me to believe that a JLR dealership would knowingly sell a vehicle in this kind of condition so I will hope for the best. I appreciate all the comments and help trying to figure this out.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Racer X
I'm not super familiar with the LR4 yet, but if they're like other cars with Stop/Start tech, there should be a defeat button or setting.

Have you tried to enable that defeat to see if there's a difference in behavior?

Yes, I thought perhaps that would solve the issue but sadly not. Still stalled out while I had the eco off! Had the car towed in today and really hope they will get to the bottom of this issue! Thank you for the reply.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 AM
1st Gear
Default I'm having the same problem with a 2012 LR4

Hi, the exact thing is happening with my LR4 right now. Mine is a different year, but you are describing the exact issue. I also had it stall multiple times while in traffic. Scary! I would get a strange message on the dash display regarding the "terrain" and it started back up. Mine has been at a mechanic who only works on Land Rovers. He worked at the dealership for many years before starting this business. He says he hasn't seen it before now and is baffled. So far, he has replaced both fuel pumps. He took out the ECU and put the one in from another vehicle and the stalling problem continued. No codes. He says my battery is fine. He has had the vehicle for a couple of weeks and said he would understand if I wanted to take it to the dealership, but he knew they would simply start putting in new parts until they repaired. This guy is truly trying to isolate the problem to avoid the costs that throwing in new parts would incur. I have had mine for several years with no issues. My street flooded the day before the problem began so I can't help but wonder if something got wet? Just so ironic that the problem began the very next day that I drove through about 6" of water?? The mechanic thinks it is a coincidence and not related. Please let me know if your problem is identified and I'll do the same.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: 2014 lr4