LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 LR4 End of Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 LR4 End of Life

So I just limped my 2015 LR4, SCV6 into town after a 1100 mile trip. long story short...I think it's done. At 120K, I believe the engine, and now the transmission, are shot. Where do I go from here? The sad part is: I actually love the car. I would like to keep it. I just can't see investing $20K and still having the same set of issues to look forward to all over again. Looking for ideas. TIA

Old 04-03-2022, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Why do you think the engine and transmission are shot? What are the “same set of issues” you refer to?

Old 04-04-2022, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlglr4
Why do you think the engine and transmission are shot? What are the “same set of issues” you refer to?
Actually it may not be the transmission. After checking it out more, it may be a fuel system issue. I also need a head gasket replaced and have constant over-heating issues. As far as the "same set of issues", it would be the same issues that all Land Rover are prone to: Cam chains, cooling system, over-heating, constant check-engine light, head gaskets and suspension, just to name a few.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your extreme self diagnosis. About the engine and transmission dying to then saying it’s just a fuel pump issue I’m going to guess you aren’t really knowledgeable about this truck.

Timing chain issues and head gasket failure due to the leaking y pipe under the SC/manifold are documentated everywhere. They are on multiple groups on FB and dozens of forums.

While these issues are common they are easily fixable by preventive service. The y pipe is a common leak and failure it’s a maintenance after certain miles. The timing chain issues are practically non existent on trucks that have had proper 5000-7500 oil changes. There is plenty of info out there correlating terrible dealer service intervals to TC issues. It seems your truck didn’t have any sort of good service early on.

If you do decide doing all the work next time around do proper service intervals and upkeep. It’ll pay off in the end.

These engines if properly maintained go 200k+ easy. I’m surprised your y pipe lasted 120k miles.

This is not a post to belittle the OP btw. Just saying you spend so much on these type of vehicles it really pays knowing the common failures and workarounds. And every car manufacture has these type of failure points.

The following users liked this post:
mmbirtcher (04-24-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling

My sentiments exactly. These trucks are pretty solid if you keep up with maintenance. I’ll add that the 2015 does not really have a timing chain “issue” to my knowledge. It certainly doesn’t have the 2010-2012 timing chain issue. And the trucks do not have constant over-heating issues - just the plastic coolant pipe issue. If you have constant overheating, that would indicate someone did not bleed your coolant lines properly or you have a leak in the cooling system someplace, e.g., warped heads from having been overheated in the past. As for the air suspension, they are no worse than any other car with air suspension.

My 2016 has about 65K on it and not a single problem. I changed the plastic coolant pipes preventatively. If you keep up with maintenance, they’re very solid.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlglr4
My sentiments exactly. These trucks are pretty solid if you keep up with maintenance. I’ll add that the 2015 does not really have a timing chain “issue” to my knowledge. It certainly doesn’t have the 2010-2012 timing chain issue. And the trucks do not have constant over-heating issues - just the plastic coolant pipe issue. If you have constant overheating, that would indicate someone did not bleed your coolant lines properly or you have a leak in the cooling system someplace, e.g., warped heads from having been overheated in the past. As for the air suspension, they are no worse than any other car with air suspension.

My 2016 has about 65K on it and not a single problem. I changed the plastic coolant pipes preventatively. If you keep up with maintenance, they’re very solid.
All the trucks even 2022 with this engine can have the timing chain issue. While the tensioners and chain are under a new revision this issue still exists to this date. I have seen plenty of 2015-2016 LR4, a few D5s and tons of L405/L494 with it. Also seen many 2015+ Jaguars with the 3.0/5.0. The 17k mile oil interval specified by JLR is a joke. As more and more of these vehicles pass over 100k and third/fourth owners start picking them up you’ll see this issue being brought up more on the forums/FB group. The first/second owner usually is the type that will just pay the dealer and keep it moving. Their time is more valuable than posting or questioning about it. Still you will see posts here and there if you head to l405 forum or the FB groups you’ll see what I mean. There is also a few lawyers looking for people to start a new class action and they have included the later models.

If you do your oil changes you’ll be good. But don’t write off the timing issues as being fixed. It wouldn’t be a JLR product then would it lol.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling

I’m not on FB, so I can’t check those groups, but I do a lot of reading on the other forums and I cannot remember seeing any reports of timing chain issues in the scv6 engine. If it were an issue, I would expect to be seeing reports by now. The 2010-2012 timing chains were causing problems way before 100K. Not saying it never happens in the scv6, just saying it doesn’t seem to be very common based on what I see in the forums.

The following 2 users liked this post by jlglr4:
jahummer (04-09-2022), RyanLR3 (04-14-2022)