LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 LR4 Leaking Coolant - looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 LR4 Leaking Coolant - looking for advice

Hello, I am new to Land Rover ownership and looking for advice. I recently bought a 2016 LR4 with 39,000 miles and a Precision First Elite extended warranty from a private seller. Car runs great has a clean history and appears in excellent condition, but a month in of owning it the coolant light came on. I took it to my BMW mechanic who specializes in German cars but do work on Land Rovers and they took a look. They pressure tested saw no sign of leak topped it off and said probably a small slow leak and bring it back if light comes on again and we will do an overnight test. A few weeks later light came on again. I just took it in and the did the overnight test. Could not find leak but can see signs of coolant under intake manifold. They think it is probably a hose or pipe leak (unfortunately hoses is one thing warranty will not cover) and say next step is remove intake manifold cover and start looking round. They have been reasonably priced in past but are estimating $2000 + for this work, which if a hose will be fully out of my pocket. A large part of cost they are saying is the time it takes to remove the intake manifold cover. Does anyone know hours of labor it normally takes to do that? Before I give the go ahead, wondering if there are other things that could be checked or if any experts out there have some theories as to what else it could be. I’m also debating taking it to a dealer or Land Rover expert instead and having them take a look. I’m in Los Angeles, anyone have a reasonable good mechanic or honest dealership they recommend for service? As a women, I’m trying to do as much research as possible so I’m not going in blind. Thank you!!!

Old 02-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always just guessing here. My two thoughts are either a broken/cracked crossover pipe or potentially something with the water pump. Both issues extremely common...look it up. $2,000 is way too high imho. I think I was charged about $800 for crossover pipe which included removal/replacement of manifold. This they found after pressure testing and finding nothing, too. Dont go to the dealer or $$$. Do a local search for local garages that work on LRs often, read reviews etc...

Last edited by MichiganRover; 02-28-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

This list might help you find a recommended shop in your area

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...s-state-72626/

Old 04-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 2015 LR5 with just over 50,000 miles on it. We purchased about 4 months ago. The coolant light came on the other day and took to my local indy shop. Coolant tank was pretty much empty. Found coolant on the bell housing that was starting to solidify. They pressure tested and did see the leak coming down the bell housing.

They are recommending removing the supercharger so they can see that far back in the valley pan to see what is leaking. Saying this is the only way to see that far back in the engine. Hoping it's just a hose, seal, etc. If the leak was in the front of the engine it would be easier to see but that's not the case here.

They quoted 8hrs just to remove the supercharger and get in there. I'm still waiting to see what else is needed. Their labor rate is $120/hr so just under $1000 to diagnose.

But, I've got a long relationship with this specific shop (they have worked on my 2006 LR3 for the past 5 yrs). I trust them and they usually get the labor done in under the quoted time...for which they charge me the actual work time so usually comes out a bit less.

Not sure this specifically helps you but wanted to share for some perspective on the costs/hours.