Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR4 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/)
-   -   Longterm Owners... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/longterm-owners-83989/)

iconoclast 04-26-2017 12:21 PM

Longterm Owners...

Knowing what you know now and based on your own personal experience... Would you own an LR4 again?

ktm_525 04-26-2017 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by iconoclast (Post 604312)
Knowing what you know now and based on your own personal experience... Would you own an LR4 again?

Yes I would although I came into the relationship eyes wide open from a LR3. The LR4 has been awesome. Will likely roll the dice and mile her out till she is ready to crush.

I bought the LR4 used for less than 1/2 MSRP when she was 3 1/2 years and 75k kms young. I have now owned it for 4 years and have put on another 70 k kms. Outside of some front rotors and pads and a water pump she has given me little trouble. I just did both lower A arms and from here on in I budget $200/month for upkeep. That is about what it should take to keep it in good shape. Not as cheap as some to run but oh so more..

Jagfixer 04-26-2017 07:32 PM

Had mine for 4 1/2 yrs. 50,000 miles. Bought with 23,000 miles. I keep maintenance up on schedule. Had a D1 for 14 yrs., expect this to do the same.

BritCars 04-26-2017 09:17 PM

We've had our 2010 LR4 the past 4+ years and it has been terrific. 75k miles and still feels and drives wonderfully
Water pump, a door lock actuator (both on warranty) front lower control arms and a couple of sets of brake pads - and that's about it.

I would highly recommend!

napel 05-03-2017 12:20 PM

Only with a V8. My 4th LR (had Disco II, L3, 2 x L4 and RR) and currently I have a 2016 and I'm going backwards to get a V8.

iconoclast 05-05-2017 11:06 AM

Why are you going back to the V8?

Care to add to the thread below?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...vs-scv6-83761/

PaulLR 05-19-2017 09:38 AM

I drove Audis for years but in 2008 we moved to a town with a drive-on beach. Q7 was terrible in sand, no way to completely shut off ESP, brakes overheat trying to control wheel spin then power shuts off until brakes cool. Traded it for an LR3 which is great in sand. Then realized it was just better at hauling gear, 3rd row fits adults, and snow mode is fantastic on winter ski trips to VT.

When I heard the V8 was being discontinued, I ordered a new 2013 LR4 for my wife and replaced my allroad with her old LR3. I enjoyed the LR3 so much but liked my wife's LR4 even more. I test drove a new 2015 LR4 with the V6 but was disappointed with the engine downgrade, rotary shift wheel and mandatory running boards. So I found a used 2013 HSE-LUX with 10K miles and bought it to replace the LR3. So now we have two 2013 HSE-LUX LR4's. Both have been extremely reliable, just new water pumps needed for both so far. Probably the most reliable vehicle I have owned since driving Honda Accords in the 80's. I know I'll need some suspension parts (lower control arms, tie rods, etc.) at around 80K miles but that happens when you drive such a heavy vehicle.

Here is the problem...I use my LR4 for business and my accountant wants me to buy a new vehicle this year for tax depreciation purposes. I have test driven the new Discovery twice, but when I get back in the LR4 I just like it better. Something about the LR4 simply has more character while the new Discovery is just another crossover. Sure, it is the most capable crossover, but I feel like I'm in an Explorer or some other generic crossover. I'm probably going to keep my LR4 another year and send more money to the IRS rather than put the money it into a new Discovery.

iconoclast 05-24-2017 07:40 AM

Thank you for the feedback. That is how I felt about the new Discovery as well. The entire LR feel is gone in the new Discovery. They do not drive like traditional LR products. In addition the iconic boxed design is one of my favorite features of the vehicle. Having it rounded off and resembling a Ford Explorer in a Tuxedo isn't really selling me on the vehicle. Especially not at $90k.

Buckybadger 05-27-2017 08:57 PM

I have had 2 LR4's a 2010 and 2014. The 2014 with the V6 was a superior vehicle. That being said I wish I could endorse but I cannot. Loved the look and the drive but could no longer stomach the constant need of repair. Chews thru brakes (30k tops- both year vehicles)...Various electrical glitches on the 2010...water pump on 2014, and other nagging issues. Finally it just wore me out wondering what was next - final blow on the 2014 was burning antifreeze. It was then I realized that while I loved the aura of the Land Rover I had begun to hate this vehicle. Too bad. My wife is still pissed I got rid of it but it came down to economics and the cost to own.
On a related note now that LR has changed the body style of the disco on their 2017's I'm convinced LR has lost their way. Why in the hell do you want every model in the lineup to look like the Ford Explorer? Brutal

Jagfixer 05-28-2017 08:48 AM

I bought a used LR4 with 23,000 miles. PO ha 20" rims and Goodyear Eagles mounted. Dealer did a water pump change and told him he needed brakes and tires. Inside the vehicle were 4 original tires and rims with no wear. I bought and immediately changed to the original tires and wheels. I put on new pads and had a continuous smell of hot antifreeze. Seems dealer did not wash out antifreeze when they dump antifreeze to do the job. The new pads went to 60K (37K miles) I then put rotors and pads at the 60K mark and at the now 73K pads are way within specs. I tow 16' car hauler and a 26' boat trailer and I figure to hit 100K or more on pads. When dealer does work, you have to check. He spoiled you with the antifreeze spell to sell. Mine will be around for a long time, never being touched by dealership.