Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR4 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/)
-   -   LR4 20 inch tires help needed (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/lr4-20-inch-tires-help-needed-85734/)

honolulugator 08-23-2017 07:11 AM

LR4 20 inch tires help needed

New member, first day here. I have spent a few days reading tire threads on here, have found lots of good information, but just wanted to consolidate things and get a few questions answered. Please don't shoot me for posting new thread! :cheers:

I live in Florida, no risk of driving in snow. Am looking for daily driver tires which are quiet (wife!) and long lasting, with enough off road capability to handle fishing/hunting. More aggressive off road tires are great if they stay quiet. No rock crawling, no snow, some sand/beach driving.

My garage entrance has about 3.5" of clearance at normal height due to roof rack. Really like the look of larger tires/Johnson rods, but need to be careful... if I have to get into access height to get into garage, am 99% sure will forget to do so one day and hit the entrance with roof rack.

Possible choices?
Michelin Latitude Tour HP 255/50/R20
Michelin Latitude Tour HP 285/50/R20 with or without Johnson Rods. Too high for garage?
Goodyear DuraTrac... would they be too noisy?
Nitto Terra Grappler 265/50/R20

I don't want to waste money, but am certainly willing to pay a premium for a tire that may get me 50-60k miles.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Mikderf 10-01-2017 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler G2. Good balance of on-road and off-road capabilities.

I have a similar problem with my rig getting in the garage. I need to be in access height, even with no height mods because of my roof rack. I hit it once because I accidentally raised the rig before backing out. My wife's hit it 3 times because she forgot to lower it before entering. If it continues to be a problem, I'll have to change the rack to a platform style.

Jhartz 10-02-2017 07:00 AM

I like Firestone Destinations

jaguardoc504 10-03-2017 12:50 PM

285/50r20 Cooper Zeon LTZ
Great tire, I currently have over 45K on them. Probably another 5-10K before I replace.
Good in the snow, wet, dry, and fantastic for the taking the LR4 off the beaten path.

grizzo 10-16-2017 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mikderf (Post 621332)
I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler G2. Good balance of on-road and off-road capabilities.

I have a similar problem with my rig getting in the garage. I need to be in access height, even with no height mods because of my roof rack. I hit it once because I accidentally raised the rig before backing out. My wife's hit it 3 times because she forgot to lower it before entering. If it continues to be a problem, I'll have to change the rack to a platform style.

Mikderf, are those Fuel Vapors? They look pretty sweet man!

Mikderf 10-16-2017 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Grizzo. Yes, they are Fuel Vapors 20 x 9. Here's a picture of the whole rig with the wheels while in Big Bear Lake this weekend.

jcm3 12-08-2017 07:04 AM

Running cooper At/3 in a 265/5020. great tire thats has 60K mile life and is quite on the highway. Previous Duratracs while they performed great were a little noisy on the highway (they also weigh a ton).

honolulugator 01-19-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jaguardoc504 (Post 621478)
285/50r20 Cooper Zeon LTZ
Great tire, I currently have over 45K on them. Probably another 5-10K before I replace.
Good in the snow, wet, dry, and fantastic for the taking the LR4 off the beaten path.

Did they require a lift?

Johnson Rods 01-27-2018 08:44 PM

You don't have to have the lift for 285-50-20 but they can rub on the wheel arch when you hit dips or go off road. Here is a tire size chart:
LR3, LR4, Tire Size Chart