LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 01:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 Oil Change

Hello - After reading a lot of exchanges about the virtue of pump-extracting oil to facilitate an oil change, and being fed-up of squirming around on cold, wet gravel in a limited space with used oil running down my arm, I purchased a Mityvac 7201 pump to allow me to do top-of-engine oil changes on my 2016 LR4/Discovery 4 SCV6. However, none of the many posts I read mentioned that the smallest of the tubes that come with the Mityvac 7201 is too big to fit into the extraction port in the oil filler pipe in my model/year of LR4 with the SCV6 engine. I would have thought this would be an elementary point to make when describing the pros and cons of an extractor pump for oil changing.

Anyway, I probed around the opening of the oil filler pipe with the tube and found that there is a way down the pipe without using the extractor port itself. Feeding the smallest Mityvac tube gently down the pipe, I reached a point where it would go no further, so I pulled it out and measured how much of it had gone down the filler to the point where it stopped, and found it to be 2 feet. Holding the tube next to the engine shows that 2 feet would have the end of the tube in the oil sump.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm that using the smallest tube that comes with my pump in the way I have described does, in fact, get it to a point where it will pump up all of the 8.5 quarts of oil in my vehicle. I realise that I could pump until oil flow stopped and then measure how much is in the pump, but if it was short of the vehicle's oil capacity or if I learn here that it isn't possible to get all the oil out of my engine with my pump, it would be impossible to exchange the pump.

Any input from anyone who has done oil changes on an LR4 with the 3.0 SCV6 engine with an extractor pump, would be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I’m a little confused by the post because in the first paragraph you say that the smallest Mityvac tube is too big to fit in the oil filler pipe, and then in the second paragraph you talk about feeding the smallest Mityvac tube down the pipe. Just trying to understand what you’re doing because I might want to do it as well.

When you take the oil filler cap off, there is that small tube like the kind you might expect a dipstick to fit into. I’ll just call it the dipstick tube for ease of description. Maybe you’re threading the small Mityvac alongside that tube rather than inside of it?

I have been doing extraction with the Mityvac and haven’t yet decided the best method of drawing up the oil, but I always have used the dipstick tube itself as the conduit. One of the larger Mityvac tubes fits over the dipstick tube - not real snug, not real loose either. I just slide it on quite far and get enough suction to pull oil out. Another way I’ve done it is to attach one end of the little rubber connector piece from the Mityvac set to the end of the dipstick tube and the other end of the connector to the Mityvac tube. That worked as well. Both methods suck a bunch of air at the same time, but they seem to pull the oil out good enough. I keep meaning to cobble together some better attachment, but always forget until its time to change the oil again.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

You use the thickest tube (probably 3/8") and the black rubber connector which pushes over the tube under the filler cap. That metal tube runs to the bottom of the sump; all you do is connect the mityvac to that tube using the black compression fitting. You shouldn't be trying to force a tube into the engine or down the tube at all. Just as is said above by jlglr4.

You'll only get about 8L out. I have added graduations to my mityvac - crazy that they don't come on the container already.

The following users liked this post:
Pwd3 (08-20-2024)
Old 06-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpilk
Hello - After reading a lot of exchanges about the virtue of pump-extracting oil to facilitate an oil change, and being fed-up of squirming around on cold, wet gravel in a limited space with used oil running down my arm, I purchased a Mityvac 7201 pump to allow me to do top-of-engine oil changes on my 2016 LR4/Discovery 4 SCV6. However, none of the many posts I read mentioned that the smallest of the tubes that come with the Mityvac 7201 is too big to fit into the extraction port in the oil filler pipe in my model/year of LR4 with the SCV6 engine. I would have thought this would be an elementary point to make when describing the pros and cons of an extractor pump for oil changing.

Anyway, I probed around the opening of the oil filler pipe with the tube and found that there is a way down the pipe without using the extractor port itself. Feeding the smallest Mityvac tube gently down the pipe, I reached a point where it would go no further, so I pulled it out and measured how much of it had gone down the filler to the point where it stopped, and found it to be 2 feet. Holding the tube next to the engine shows that 2 feet would have the end of the tube in the oil sump.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm that using the smallest tube that comes with my pump in the way I have described does, in fact, get it to a point where it will pump up all of the 8.5 quarts of oil in my vehicle. I realise that I could pump until oil flow stopped and then measure how much is in the pump, but if it was short of the vehicle's oil capacity or if I learn here that it isn't possible to get all the oil out of my engine with my pump, it would be impossible to exchange the pump.

Any input from anyone who has done oil changes on an LR4 with the 3.0 SCV6 engine with an extractor pump, would be appreciated.

I go through all of that good stuff here.

hope it helps. And yes the mittvac has a hose that fits perfectly. Albeit a little tight.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Nice video. Interesting, though, that my Mityvac did not have a hose that fits perfectly. I suspect the OP here has the same situation. The closest fit of the tubes that came with my unit goes over, but is slightly loose (rather than slightly tight) so I don’t get the best seal, but it works okay. Perhaps the hoses supplied have a little variation.

Otherwise, my process looks just like yours, with the exception that I add new oil before emptying the Mityvac, then pump the old oil from the Mityvac directly back into the new oil containers rather than draining into a bin. Makes it simple to drop it at the local auto parts store for recycling.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Drifting

Thanks, I’m trying my best to get some diy stuff out there for the community.

The hose goes on quite a way with my vac before being snug. About 2 inches or so if I remember. I’m doing another oil change this week and a follow up and taking out the drain plug as well just to satisfy my own curiosity about how far the drain pipe goes inside the sump.

I just drop the used oil off at the local recycling station at the marina down the road, the catch pan makes life easier for me.

Just changed the front and rear crossover coolant pipes so that will be posted soon. Took the supercharger snout off and replaced the coupling as well while I was in there, so it’s been all go here.

Now for a lot of video editing, but first it’s time to go for some off-roading fun with the kids.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the various replies and the video. The information provided helps and provides some options I wasn't aware of. For clarification; to jlglr4, I was calling what you refer to as the 'dipstick tube' the 'extraction port', for want of a better term. What I was saying is that the smallest tube supplied with my model of Mityvac pump won't fit down the 'dipstick tube' despite my having read elsewhere that people had slid an extraction tube down the 'dipstick tube'. When I found out that none of my tubes would fit, I then probed around the outside of the 'dipstick tube' within the diameter of the oil filler pipe to see if there was a way down to the sump there. To Pagoda, fair point that one doesn't want to be forcing anything down into an engine, but I was actually able to feed the smallest tube from my pump down beside the 'dipstick tube' quite gently. By the time it stopped, and without my exerting any more force, enough of it had gone down the oil filler tube for the end of it to be in the sump. With that said, I'm glad to know that you can attach the Mityvac extraction tubes to the top of the 'dipstick tube' using the supplied rubber compression fittings.

It seems to me that one would be able to do a more complete oil change by sucking oil up from the bottom of the sump than sucking it out from the top of the 'dipstick tube'. But maybe not. I'll do my oil change in the next couple of days starting by pumping from the top of the filler pipe/'dipstick tube'. When the flow stops, if there is appreciably less than 8.5 quarts in the pump, I'll see if I can get any more out by easing the extraction tube as far as it will go with gentle pressure. Depending on what happens I can report here. Stu Barnes, I would be interested to know what you find out when you remove your sump nut after pumping oil out during your next oil change.

Thanks all!

Old 06-07-2021, 12:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Extraction tube is probably the better term - I think that’s actually what its there for. And, to that effect, I’m guessing that tube goes right to the lowest point of the sump, so extraction should be pretty complete. But I too am curious about what Stu finds when he gets around to it.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Changed my oil last night with my mityvac, super easy, barely an inconvenience. Now however I have an issue to resolve, my oil filter wrench won't come off of the filter housing. I'm not sure if its due to heat, or stuck on there thanks to the humid weather but its not anything I've dealt with before. Anybody here run into this and have any solutions?

Wilybyrd
'10 LR4 HSE

Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wilybyrd
Changed my oil last night with my mityvac, super easy, barely an inconvenience. Now however I have an issue to resolve, my oil filter wrench won't come off of the filter housing. I'm not sure if its due to heat, or stuck on there thanks to the humid weather but its not anything I've dealt with before. Anybody here run into this and have any solutions?

Wilybyrd
'10 LR4 HSE
That’s a bummer. What size/type of wrench are you using. Post a photo if possible. It may help.

If worst comes to worst. They’re about $25

Filter Cover - Land-Rover (LR019477)

Quick Reply: LR4 Oil Change