LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 pre purchase checklist

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LR4 Model info and pre-purchase check list

After attempting searches on this and other enthusiast websites, I found that while the info was out there, there didn't seem to be a thread where a lot of info regarding the common question of "what to look for" when entering into LR4 ownership. Since I've gained so much from this forum, I figured this could be a way to give back to this community. I'd like to present "What to look for", with the caveat that this is not inclusive, and an invitation of owners who have actual experience (I'm still looking for my first) to add as necessary. If the community feels this as appropriate, maybe the moderator can make this a "sticky" for others to easily locate in this LR4 specific forum.

Model Changes

· 2010-2013- V8 engine with 6sp ZF Auto

o 2012- Update to audio, nav system , air compressor (late year change)
o Stock with Hi/Low transfer case
o V8 Look-Outs
§ Water pump failures
§ Timing Chain Guides ($$$)
§ Any evidence of over-heating

· 2014-2016- V6 engine with 8sp ZF Auto

o Gets a little better MPG (2-3)
o Has pop-up shifter dial
o Minor face-lift/ LED headlights
o Hi/Low transfer case only as option
o No specific issues found with power train

· All Year Look-outs

o Tires- Heavy vehicles, they go through tires
o Brakes (and parking brake operation)- again, this is a heavy vehicle
o Service Records/ guarantee maintenance schedule followed
o Key fobs have their emergency key inside
o Sunroof drains
o Transmission/ oil leaks (hard to detect from skid plates)
o Air compressor and reservoir tank
§ Accidental use as jacking point/ missing cover

o Electronics/ front and rear HVAC operation
o Door locks and latches (hood and tailgate)
o LCA Bushings/ Suspension bushings
o Tie Rod ends
o Air suspension system health

· Be smart, get an inspection at a reputable Land Rover shop

This is a great forum with an even better community. Hopefully this can be of value.

Last edited by Wesley Lueders; 03-08-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: re-phrase title for content accuracy
The following 12 users liked this post by Wesley Lueders:
Bucwolfser (03-08-2018), Creme Brule (03-28-2024), DafyddC (07-31-2020), EasyDoesIt (06-01-2018), mollusc (04-09-2019), particulardude (04-02-2022), PaulLR (02-15-2021), Pwd3 (04-06-2023), shakazulu12 (03-12-2018), TooToosMom (06-09-2018), TrungH (06-16-2018), water rover (12-06-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Lueders
After attempting searches on this and other enthusiast websites, I found that while the info was out there, there didn't seem to be a thread where a lot of info regarding the common question of "what to look for" when entering into LR4 ownership. Since I've gained so much from this forum, I figured this could be a way to give back to this community. I'd like to present "What to look for", with the caveat that this is not inclusive, and an invitation of owners who have actual experience (I'm still looking for my first) to add as necessary. If the community feels this as appropriate, maybe the moderator can make this a "sticky" for others to easily locate in this LR4 specific forum.

Model Changes

· 2010-2013- V8 engine with 6sp ZF Auto

o 2012- Update to audio, nav system , air compressor (late year change)
o Stock with Hi/Low transfer case
o V8 Look-Outs
§ Water pump failures
§ Timing Chain Guides ($$$)
§ Any evidence of over-heating

· 2014-2016- V6 engine with 8sp ZF Auto

o Gets a little better MPG (2-3)
o Has pop-up shifter dial
o Minor face-lift/ LED headlights
o Hi/Low transfer case only as option
o No specific issues found with power train

· All Year Look-outs

o Tires- Heavy vehicles, they go through tires
o Brakes (and parking brake operation)- again, this is a heavy vehicle
o Service Records/ guarantee maintenance schedule followed
o Key fobs have their emergency key inside
o Sunroof drains
o Transmission/ oil leaks (hard to detect from skid plates)
o Air compressor and reservoir tank
§ Accidental use as jacking point/ missing cover

o Electronics/ front and rear HVAC operation
o Door locks and latches (hood and tailgate)
o LCA Bushings/ Suspension bushings
o Tie Rod ends
o Air suspension system health

· Be smart, get an inspection at a reputable Land Rover shop

This is a great forum with an even better community. Hopefully this can be of value.
On all models:

All of the above plus:

Uneven tire wear.
Worn suspension bushes. (indicated by uneven tire wear)
Rear view camera.

An accurate and useful summary and good advice for buying.

The following users liked this post:
water rover (12-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2023, 09:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this. I'm finally close to getting an LR4 so this is SUPER helpful. Question - I'm looking at a 2011 HSE LR4...did all 2011's have a center diff lock? I can't find it in the VIN breakdown. Don't want to drive 2 hours to look at it without knowing first.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:15 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaredyCats
Thanks for this. I'm finally close to getting an LR4 so this is SUPER helpful. Question - I'm looking at a 2011 HSE LR4...did all 2011's have a center diff lock? I can't find it in the VIN breakdown. Don't want to drive 2 hours to look at it without knowing first.
​​​​​My understanding is Yes, all Lr3 and lr4 with low range have an auto locking Centre diff. Need to select one of the off road terrain modes for it to activate when it decides it's needed. So not a manual locking diff that you can control like on on old defender, d1 and some d2s.

Last edited by Pwd3; 04-09-2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
On all models:

All of the above plus:

Uneven tire wear.
Worn suspension bushes. (indicated by uneven tire wear)
Rear view camera.

An accurate and useful summary and good advice for buying.
You really need an obd code reader that covers Lr4. Check the codes, when they were last cleared, live data for out of spec readings. Also, I saw YouTube video saying some code readers can check for mileage corrections. It seems "mileage corrections" can be done with the right equipment, ie clocking.

​​​​​See https://youtu.be/RQX11SyHnHw

Has anyone any experience of this? I just saw the video so no experience trying to check for this. Seems useful check if it is relevant for LR.

Last edited by Pwd3; 04-10-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:11 AM
guy
Winching
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Actually, this is not correct:
You must run the VIN to discover if there is a locking differential fitted. (Thanks to Chris and Greg at Shore Auto)
The high-low transfer case fitting is independent from the locking differential fitting.

Cheers

Old 04-09-2023, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by guy
Actually, this is not correct:
You must run the VIN to discover if there is a locking differential fitted. (Thanks to Chris and Greg at Shore Auto)
The high-low transfer case fitting is independent from the locking differential fitting.

Cheers
Interesting... I took a look at the Description and Operation section of the workshop manual. It states the centre differential assembly is the primary feature of the transfer box. There is a multi plate assembly that limits slip between front and rear driveshafts, managed by transfer box control module. I don't see a description of the low range delete setup. May be need to check vin if it does not have a low range. With hi and lo range though the workshop seems clear and center diff multi plate clutch is there. If you know different can you please share specific details/ reference? Are you sure you are not mixing up the rear axle locking diff, which is an option and part of HD package?

Last edited by Pwd3; 04-10-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sad day

I did my due diligence, found the perfect 2016 LR4 Silver Edition. Black with Almond interior. Its now basically a new vehicle. Original owner traded back in where they bought it an my friend works there. I went to drive and and imagine what a pleasant surprise.... in addition to all the goodies, it had adaptive cruise. It gets better. The dealer charges a still fee $2K but in return my friend told the mechanic responsible for "checking it out" to go over with a fine tooth comb. $10-12K later (of the dealer's money) it has new fuel pump and all related. New water pump, new vacuum pump, new batteries, new cross over and all related "water" components, new windshield (had a small crack but they could not sell with a crack), new motor mounts (had a slight vibration), all fluids (including brake fluid) changed, new wipers, the wheels have been professionally refinished (by the dealer), new manifold and other gaskets (part of the "water" related repairs). It included the hidden/removable hitch, the trailer cam. This thing drives like new and is fully up to date on maintenance.
Well one little problem... My wife decided that she did not want to see an extra car sitting in the driveway. So it is up for sale. I am not about to turn this to a dealership because i know there are other LR4 fans and as these good ones getter fewer and farther between, I want to find this one a good home. I dont really know what is a "fair" price, but basically look at it like this... its got at least $12k worth of maintenance work that means this thing is good for a lot of miles with little or no expense. It has been cleaned down to file detail.. It has 2 sets of mats, manuals, the NAV and XM work great. Bluetooth works as well as any brand new car. I am in Florida (and the car has always been) so no salt or rust, no harsh winters. garage kept. I bought this to keep forever, who knew my wife would decide " I dont want to see any extra cars in the driveway. So anyone looking for one of the best LR4's let me know. By the way this is that limited production Silver Edition where they put most everything option wise on the car. the only 2 things i know that are not on there is the heated windshield which i did not want because of issues i had heard about. Also no heated seats, again think FL and cold weather is when it gets below 70 LOL. thanks.

This thing gets washed more then my dog LOL.

Old 05-01-2023, 12:43 PM
guy
Winching
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

OK, I'll pipe in:
1. Have a "MOT" safety in hand... from another province.
2. LR service history shows 'up to date'.
Is that the sweet aroma of coolant? Why yes it is... the cross over pipe.
Oh wait, there's more... the water pump was replaced... incorrectly.
Not so fast, are those overly corroded rear brake lines? Why yes they are...

Its only money...

The following users liked this post:
Pwd3 (05-04-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhhirsch1919
I did my due diligence, found the perfect 2016 LR4 Silver Edition. Black with Almond interior. Its now basically a new vehicle. Original owner traded back in where they bought it an my friend works there. I went to drive and and imagine what a pleasant surprise.... in addition to all the goodies, it had adaptive cruise. It gets better. The dealer charges a still fee $2K but in return my friend told the mechanic responsible for "checking it out" to go over with a fine tooth comb. $10-12K later (of the dealer's money) it has new fuel pump and all related. New water pump, new vacuum pump, new batteries, new cross over and all related "water" components, new windshield (had a small crack but they could not sell with a crack), new motor mounts (had a slight vibration), all fluids (including brake fluid) changed, new wipers, the wheels have been professionally refinished (by the dealer), new manifold and other gaskets (part of the "water" related repairs). It included the hidden/removable hitch, the trailer cam. This thing drives like new and is fully up to date on maintenance.
Well one little problem... My wife decided that she did not want to see an extra car sitting in the driveway. So it is up for sale. I am not about to turn this to a dealership because i know there are other LR4 fans and as these good ones getter fewer and farther between, I want to find this one a good home. I dont really know what is a "fair" price, but basically look at it like this... its got at least $12k worth of maintenance work that means this thing is good for a lot of miles with little or no expense. It has been cleaned down to file detail.. It has 2 sets of mats, manuals, the NAV and XM work great. Bluetooth works as well as any brand new car. I am in Florida (and the car has always been) so no salt or rust, no harsh winters. garage kept. I bought this to keep forever, who knew my wife would decide " I dont want to see any extra cars in the driveway. So anyone looking for one of the best LR4's let me know. By the way this is that limited production Silver Edition where they put most everything option wise on the car. the only 2 things i know that are not on there is the heated windshield which i did not want because of issues i had heard about. Also no heated seats, again think FL and cold weather is when it gets below 70 LOL. thanks.

This thing gets washed more then my dog LOL.
Sounding great until no heated seats, that is a deal breaker with the wife. I don't know why LR would bother deleting than from the build. An essential for some folks with dodgy backs.

Quick Reply: LR4 pre purchase checklist