LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Running Temps

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

So I think I have figured out the differences in the thermos from looking at AutoZone's Website

V8 is a 192 F (89 C) opening temp: https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...692/348700_0_0
SCV6 is 203 F (95 C) opening temp: https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...603/348734_0_0

Autozone lists the V8 thermostat as a “alternate temperature” for the SCV6 LR4. Although Autozone isn't always 100% correct, I'd bet that the stats are interchangeable.

The troubling part for me is that this vehicle regularly travels in hot Florida summer days of 95+ with 90% humidity with the A/C cranked up. If its at 226 now, during summer it will be more that likely pushing on / past that 230 mark. The factory thermostat probably won't even show motion until your well past 230. I have stuck an Ultraguage on the LR4 with an alarm set for 230 F.

While the engine is designed to run at a certain temp for efficiency and emissions, its designed around an operating range. Changing the temperature 10 degrees cooler I anticipate would still be well within the operating range. I think about the cars running in the far north states that in winter, even with the hot thermostat, probably don't get past 210 just because the environment temp is so low.

Looking at the coolant system diagram for the SCV6, the one thing that does concern me slightly is that the oil cooling system relies on the coolant system for cooling. I wouldn't want to overcool the oil. However, it looks like the oil coolant system has its own thermostat, so I anticipate that would be okay. Watching the oil temp with the Ultraguage, it seems to hover at around the same position as coolant temp.

The following users liked this post:
brmadsenad (01-14-2024)
Old 01-11-2021, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
Looking at the coolant system diagram for the SCV6, the one thing that does concern me slightly is that the oil cooling system relies on the coolant system for cooling. I wouldn't want to overcool the oil. However, it looks like the oil coolant system has its own thermostat, so I anticipate that would be okay. Watching the oil temp with the Ultraguage, it seems to hover at around the same position as coolant temp.
Don't worry about it, the V8 will also have the same water/oil cooler. It is primarily to get the oil up to temp faster. Usually if this is above 150 it will be fine

Old 03-15-2022, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
So I think I have figured out the differences in the thermos from looking at AutoZone's Website

V8 is a 192 F (89 C) opening temp: https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...692/348700_0_0
SCV6 is 203 F (95 C) opening temp: https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...603/348734_0_0

Autozone lists the V8 thermostat as a “alternate temperature” for the SCV6 LR4. Although Autozone isn't always 100% correct, I'd bet that the stats are interchangeable.

The troubling part for me is that this vehicle regularly travels in hot Florida summer days of 95+ with 90% humidity with the A/C cranked up. If its at 226 now, during summer it will be more that likely pushing on / past that 230 mark. The factory thermostat probably won't even show motion until your well past 230. I have stuck an Ultraguage on the LR4 with an alarm set for 230 F.

While the engine is designed to run at a certain temp for efficiency and emissions, its designed around an operating range. Changing the temperature 10 degrees cooler I anticipate would still be well within the operating range. I think about the cars running in the far north states that in winter, even with the hot thermostat, probably don't get past 210 just because the environment temp is so low.

hey guys sorry to bring the old thread up. I am in the same boat with my recently acquired 2015 LR4 (discovery 4) with 3.0 Supercharged ,

we don't get many of this car in Australia hence very limited information amont the LR forum here.

my LR 4 has new thermostats and water pump down by the previous owner however I am a little worry that the coolant temp is sitting around 100-105 celsius (212-221 F) no matter how am I driving, its a little higher than my liking and definitely higher than my last Diesel LR4. from what I have read on your thread it seen to be "ok", I am wondering have you gone down the route trying to fit the older V8 thermostat if so did it make any difference?

thank you very much

Old 03-15-2022, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

just check my service record looks like the part number for the thermostat that LR dealer replaced is slightly difference to the 2 listed above .

dealer listed part number as LR117568

link below

https://www.roverparts.com/engine-co...ats/LR117568G/

does anyone know what is the opening temperature for the above thermostat as I cant seen to find any information on the genuine one?

any help is appreciated.

thank you

The following users liked this post:
brmadsenad (01-14-2024)