Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR4 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/)
-   -   Oil Service (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/oil-service-57998/)

Orkney LR4 03-29-2013 12:29 PM

Oil Service

I am of the school that oil doesn't last 15,000 miles like the dealer thinks and will be chaging it soon as I am approaching 5000 miles on my LR4. They claim they use "special oil" not available elsewhere, but from my BMW days, as long as it is a good synthetic oil like Castrol or Mobil 1, you are good.

Do you guys agree? Dealer wants #190 for an oil service, Jiffy lube wants $123, I can do it myself cheaper.

Savannah Buzz 03-29-2013 12:37 PM

DIY, early and often. Many new high end vehicles have a maintenance schedule built around the leased model, pushing repairs on to next owner. As for unobtainium oil, just look for it. Rover also has a "arduous" schedule, which is more real world. Also keep in mind the diff oil is unlikely to work well at 149,000 miles.

Disco Mike 03-29-2013 03:41 PM

A high quality synthetic and an even better oil filter like a K&N or Mobil 1 is a good way to go.
As for your other fluids, change them all every 30,000 mile, even though Rover says not do and the tranny, you will have to use a Rover suggested ATF.

Rovin4life 03-30-2013 03:56 PM

I see more issues with longer oil changes then shorter ones. The only time it matters is straight up highway driving with at least 30k a year. Then the leaks don't develop. And BMW oil change intervals are a joke. They kill more engines cause of it and have more oil leaks then a LR3.

Orkney LR4 03-30-2013 10:25 PM

Got oil changed at dealer. Felt that brakes were "soft" as I could push the pedal to the floor. The bled the brakes and all feels better.

The also replaced the water pump as it was leaking. They said this was common which concerns me a little regarding reliability issues that plague this vehicle. Anyone else have their water pump replaced?

Only thing that upset me was that they reset my oil interval after I specifically asked them not to (currently have 5k miles on it). My SA said they can't reset it unless the vehicle said it was time. He said he was wrong and I said I will see you again at 15k miles!

roverguy7 04-03-2013 09:40 AM

That engine does use a 'special' oil that was specifically designed along side of the engine being designed, its a special blended castrol 5w20. I have no experience with using the incorrect oil in it as far as creating an issue or not, but the only oil I've come across that meets it's specs is one made by Redline.

Orkney LR4 04-03-2013 10:39 AM

Redline is good stuff. I use it in my M3 track car.

artstevenson1958 06-03-2013 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 388678)
DIY, early and often. Many new high end vehicles have a maintenance schedule built around the leased model, pushing repairs on to next owner. As for unobtainium oil, just look for it. Rover also has a "arduous" schedule, which is more real world. Also keep in mind the diff oil is unlikely to work well at 149,000 miles.

totally agree with the DIY approach. I've always changed the oil myself on all my vehicles and it has saved me a lot of money over the years. Just make sure to choose the right ATF for your Rover!