LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR vs LR4 Decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR vs LR4 Decision

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I was on this forum, and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I had an LR3 from about 2007-2010 and it was hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. It definitely left an impression on me and so I am planning to go back to Land Rover in my next vehicle purchase.

I'm basically trying to decide between either getting a new fullsize RR now, or waiting for either the successor to the current LR4 (which supposedly will be a major redesign) or a mid-model refresh/facelift of the fullsize RR. I have no interest in the smaller models.

What I'm looking for in the vehicle is first and foremost large cargo capacity (either model fits that bill), moderate offroad capability, utilitarian features like the adjustable height which allows me to more easily get heavy gear in and out, and on top of those things then the nice luxury features and refinements (do a lot of city traffic driving too).

Now I know there's a good argument not to wait for forthcoming model redesigns or refreshes, but I am not in a pinch for a new vehicle, my X5 doing the job just fine (albeit uninspiringly). I don't mind waiting for something good if it's say, within a year from now. I don't want to wait much longer than that. I'll have this vehicle for many years so if there are some upgrades right around the corner I'd rather wait.

I've done some searches online and haven't been able to find anything concrete about when the new LR4 will be hitting dealers, and the fullsize RR refresh is just conjecture based on when they redesigned it, I'm sure many of you here have a much better idea about that than I do. The X5 got a facelift a scant 4 months after I bought mine and I have to admit it stung!

If I went ahead with the fullsize RR that's out now, I'd consider picking up a lightly used one if the right color/features combo came along one of my local dealerships.

Thanks y'all and I hope I'm not offending anyone by asking for some advice/opinions on the topic. If you're bored by these questions please just skip my post. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold my 06 HSE LR3 for a 10 HSE LUX LR4 and couldn't be happier with my decision. The 4 is everything the 3 is except with more power, better handling and more luxury features. If it were me I would source out a low mile creampuff 2013 to get the superior V8. If you want the utility (7 seat and more cargo space) then I vote LR4. The shape and design are timeless.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Neb
4wd Low

The new LR4's are already out in Canada. I saw a new white one on the floor when I was in getting my 2010 LR4 serviced. They look nice, still big like the previous model. I didn't get a lot of time to look at it though as I basically just walked past it.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

I hope you get a lot of good replies. I think many of us ponder the L4 vs RR scenario.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same question when buying my LR. I asked the dealer what the difference was and he was honest. He said "save yourself $15K or more and get the LR4, it's virtually the same thing apart from the interior and the badging."

After owning the LR4 for a few years, I'd hate to see what the fuel consumption is on the larger and heavier full sized RR lol. My LR4 has the economy of a Sherman tank

Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

That's absurd. Sit in a FFRR and tell me it's the "same thing."

To the OP: If you have the opportunity and the $ to buy a brand new RR, DO IT! An Autobiography is around $150,000. I make a decent living but that price tag puts it in the realm of "Lottery Car" for me.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em, I say...

Old 01-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I got my info wrong. I thought that the non supercharged RR shared all the mechanical bits with the LR4. Same suspension, same engine, same drivetrain.... no? If so, then to me that makes them the same vehicle, just with 2 different faces and comfort levels.

I'm not sure if the OP was interested in the SS or any supercharged model, so I didn't bring it up. They are of course in a totally different league from your basic full sized RR, not to mention the LR 4 lol

Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

They are two very different trucks and also very different prices. If you want a comfortable load lugger the LR4, or Disco 4 to me, is ideal and very comfortable. However, the RR in it's many forms and engines can do everything the LR4 can but at a humongous eyewatering price. It is supremely equipped and very comfortable with all the latest gadgets and gizmos.

I run a low mileage 2009 RRS TdV6 which is a great and comfortable truck for motorway cruising and it tows well but it doesn't have the internal spacial capacity of the LR4.

IMO if you have the dosh to spend and want the ultimate comfort get the RR and enjoy but if you need to have a comfortable load lugger buy the LR4.

On the other hand I'm considering a diesel V6 or V8 VW Touareg for a change from the LR's. (they are built on a Cayenne platform)