LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing 28’ lightweight camper with 2013 LR4

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I see the symbols pop up on your posts fairly often

Attached Thumbnails -britcars.jpg  
Old 11-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I see the symbols pop up on your posts fairly often
How strange. I have no idea. My posts look normal to me!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BritCars
Is 4800lbs what it actually weighs when fully loaded (water, fuel, kit etc) or is that €˜empty €™?

The LR4 is rated to about 7700lbs tow weight so if you €™re really at 4800 you €™re well below the max weight. There is a debate about whether you should use a weight distributing hitch on the LR4 - I thought LR advised against it (something to do with the air suspension setup). But many people seem to use them successfully

LR4 is well powered and a pretty capable tow vehicle so if you €™re well within the weight parameters then you should be fine

4800 lbs is the dry weight. I’m thinking I won’t pack 2900 lbs into it, however having it weighed at a truck stop would be a good idea before a long trip with the fam. My only 2 trips with it thus far, just me, solo, with very little gear.

This debate about the weight distribution set up has me curious. I don’t have a ton of towing experience but my Dad always took me on Camping trips, and always had WD. But he also, never towed with a Land Rover. How does the air suspension fit into the equation?

I did read in the manual that WD should not be used, but it didn’t quite seem to explain why. So I went with my gut and got the weight distribution hitch with sway bar. Seemed to be the right thing, and it did tow ok that way. Maybe I should try towing without the WD to see how it feels? But, the idea of an accident due to sway, scares the heck out of me.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Under no circumstances should you use a weight distribution hitch with your LR4. We tow a 5000 pound trailer with my wife’s 2012 and it took junking the weight distribution hitch to get everything to work properly. (Well that plus plugging in a 12 dollar harbor freight incandescent tow light set to activate the towing settings on her truck but that’s another story)

Symptoms with the WDR were a significant amount of “porpoising”. With the normal hitch, the air compressor isn’t working nonstop and it’s a very stable ride. I do miss the sway control provided by the WDR though.

So far we have about 15k towing miles in 2 years on our LR4. Handles it like a champ.

if you haven’t towed a significant amount of weight for distance with an LR4, i’d suggest refraining from dispensing conventional towing wisdom advice. A WDR works well with a traditional suspension setup but is pretty horrendous on the active suspension of the air sprung LR4.
Not discounting your advising against weight distribution hitches on the LR4, just trying to understand. Exactly how does it affect the air suspension system? What harm can it do, if all it’s doing is distributing weight? And what about the sway control bar? Can that be used without the Weight distribution set up? I worry about sway more than anything!

Also, you mentioned something about a “12 dollar harbor freight incandescent tow light set to activate the towing settings on her truck”. Does my LR4 have a tow setting? Still learning about my vehicle so,. I would like to hear that story.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell J Russell
Not discounting your advising against weight distribution hitches on the LR4, just trying to understand. Exactly how does it affect the air suspension system? What harm can it do, if all it’s doing is distributing weight? And what about the sway control bar? Can that be used without the Weight distribution set up? I worry about sway more than anything!

Also, you mentioned something about a “12 dollar harbor freight incandescent tow light set to activate the towing settings on her truck”. Does my LR4 have a tow setting? Still learning about my vehicle so,. I would like to hear that story.
i personally have no idea why Land Rover is anti in this regard, but having towed heavy trailers for more than 30 years, with a huge variety of tow vehicles over that same period, all I can offer is that every tow has been much safer with weight distribution than without. I don't see how a Land Rover defies physics. I've towed heavy trailers with F150's, F250's, Excursion, Grand Cherokee's, LR2's, and lastly LR3's. Never once did I feel safer without added equipment.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Heh guys,

why is a weight distribution hitch a bad idea on an air suspended Land Rover? - the hitch causes the air compressor to work continuously, something it’s not designed to do. It will eventually burn out from the abuse. Driving characteristics are that you’ll notice “porpoising”, the trailer nodding the rover up and down . It’s particularly bad with a single axle travel trailer.

sway control. As long as tow mode is activated, the lr4 has software to detect and counter sway.

Activating tow mode - it’s a passive system that looks for resistance on the lighting circuit of either of the tow connectors. If you don’t get a trailer icon on your dash when you hook up your trailer and turn on your indicator, towing mode is not activated. The harbor freight work around was worth it for us because tow mode alters suspension settings and shift points, plus disables the rear parking sensors when backing up.

bottom line, if you’re towing with an lr4, years of conventional “towing wisdom” will get you into trouble unless your replace the airbags with coils.

Last edited by Robert Booth; 11-15-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow a 2009 Dutchmen Areolite 24RBLS. This is a 4,500 unladen and 6,000lb fully laden with out sway bars or weight distrubtion bars. Due to the passive system on the LR4 they are not needed. In fact by putting them on you can cause issues with the compressor trying to compensate for the WD bars. As for sway:

Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by G Reeves
I tow a 2009 Dutchmen Areolite 24RBLS. This is a 4,500 unladen and 6,000lb fully laden with out sway bars or weight distrubtion bars. Due to the passive system on the LR4 they are not needed. In fact by putting them on you can cause issues with the compressor trying to compensate for the WD bars. As for sway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy4vfcX_BrU
what he said.
to recap:
if your tow vehicle has coil or leafsprung suspension, use a weight distribution hitch with sway control.

if your tow vehicle is a Land Rover lr4 or RR Sport - just hook up the trailer and drive it. The vehicles systems will do the rest.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Lr3 without wd hitch

I have a 2006 LR3 and tow a 1972 - 23 ft airstream safari. I took it from Rhode Island to Tennessee and back through New Orleans, Florida and Georgia. I don't use a wd hitch and it towed great! The wd hitch will screw up your compressor.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
what he said.
to recap:
if your tow vehicle has coil or leafsprung suspension, use a weight distribution hitch with sway control.

if your tow vehicle is a Land Rover lr4 or RR Sport - just hook up the trailer and drive it. The vehicles systems will do the rest.

Ok. You all have convinced me to give it a try, towing my travel trailer without weight distribution. Maybe even without the sway bar. Do I need the Land Rover authorized hitch, or will my Curt hitch suffice? Also, A lot of videos mention special Towing Software that is called up when you plug in a trailer to the LR4. I don’t remember seeing anything like that on the screen when I hooked up my trailer. Is there something I’m missing or is it possible I need to get a dealer to install it?