Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR4 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/)
-   -   V8 vs. SCV6... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/v8-vs-scv6-83761/)

iconoclast 04-09-2017 08:48 AM

V8 vs. SCV6...

For those of you had both motors what have you noticed between the two motors? Is the SCV6 any better at anything? In neither form has the LR3/4Discovery been a sporting vehicle but does the vehicle feel sluggish compared to before?

jlrvkohl 04-10-2017 07:46 AM

i tend to enjoy the v8's better. the superchargers on the v6 can get a little noisey in the nose cone.

BritCars 04-10-2017 01:45 PM

I own the V8 and have driven the SV6. Can't really feel the difference in power / I think they are pretty close (340 vs 375hp). The V6 has an 8-spd vs the 6spd transmission. Otherwise feels pretty similar

iconoclast 04-10-2017 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jlrvkohl (Post 602827)
i tend to enjoy the v8's better. the superchargers on the v6 can get a little noisey in the nose cone.

noisy from the sc whine or because the motor is working harder to pull the weight of the LR4?

Originally Posted by BritCars (Post 602867)
I own the V8 and have driven the SV6. Can't really feel the difference in power / I think they are pretty close (340 vs 375hp). The V6 has an 8-spd vs the 6spd transmission. Otherwise feels pretty similar

I had a similar experience with the 3.0T/4.2L Q7. I owned both but could not notice a difference between the two in terms of acceleration but the MPG improved dramatically. The output between the two motors was only 7hp this is 35hp so I was curious if it would more of a slouch at highway speeds or if the 8AT was constantly gear hunting or creating drone in the cabin.

BritCars 04-10-2017 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by iconoclast
I had a similar experience with the 3.0T/4.2L Q7. I owned both but could not notice a difference between the two in terms of acceleration but the MPG improved dramatically. The output between the two motors was only 7hp this is 35hp so I was curious if it would more of a slouch at highway speeds or if the 8AT was constantly gear hunting or creating drone in the cabin.

Yes - mpg is improved from about 12 city cycle to about 15. Sadly it's pretty poor either way - it's just a really heavy vehicle

In my view it's surprisingly sprightly in both V8 and V6 guise. The acceleration times are very respectable for a heavy truck and it feels faster than that. I didn't get drone or searching for gears. The ZF transmissions used are very common in many other luxury car brands and perform very well

BritCars 04-10-2017 05:18 PM

And if you're trying to decide between the two, my bias is to decide on age and price - the V8s will be older and lower priced as it was on an earlier spec. So I'd get as recent as possible to fit your budget and that will likely define which one you get

iconoclast 04-11-2017 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars (Post 602880)
Yes - mpg is improved from about 12 city cycle to about 15. Sadly it's pretty poor either way - it's just a really heavy vehicle

MPG isn't really a concern but if the gain in efficiency is negligible then i would prefer the eight cylinder.

Originally Posted by BritCars (Post 602881)
And if you're trying to decide between the two, my bias is to decide on age and price - the V8s will be older and lower priced as it was on an earlier spec. So I'd get as recent as possible to fit your budget and that will likely define which one you get

the problem i am having is that the options i want appear to be more common on the newer models. finding an lr3 or lr4 (pre-2013) with HSE Lux or RSE or upgraded audio is rare... finding one with all of the above is even more rare. pricing isn't the issue but finding the right vehicle appears to be. i was hoping by casting a wider net i would be able to find what i want (and i have) but unfortunately it is the six cylinder. considering the size, weight, shape and application of the vehicle i am not looking for a canyon carver or a frugal fuel familyhauler but i do not want to listen to an overworked motor every time we load up and drive off.

BritCars 04-12-2017 01:46 PM

Yes - HSE are very common but Lux are pretty rare
Given what you describe I suspect you will get more enjoyment from the V8
Where are you based?

iconoclast 04-13-2017 07:38 AM

It appears that your comments are not isolated... however finding a V8 HSE Lux will be a chore and finding a low mileage vehicle with the equipment I desire will be a full time job which may yield the same results as wildcatting.

jlrvkohl 04-17-2017 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by iconoclast (Post 602868)
noisy from the sc whine or because the motor is working harder to pull the weight of the LR4?

noisy from the sc itself, not the whine but the isoltator spring in the nose cone can make a clunking sound after awhile