LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could be wrong with ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 10:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Frustrating that garages can’t diagnose these problems better than just throwing parts, but I know that’s the case. I’m just trying to think back to your comment about bleeding the brakes. Did you start having this problem immediately afterwards? If so, I might still be looking hard at whatever might have happened there. I know you said the brake sensor is new, but wondering if it might have been somehow damaged/knocked loose when bleeding the brakes (manual bleed using the brake pedal). Or maybe a wheel speed sensor connection/wire was somehow damaged (giving intermittent error that your not seeing with gap). If the brake bleed was a while ago, then probably no sense in it.

Curious - where are you located? Just wondering why it is impossible to get the steering wheel sensor where your at.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

france

Old 03-25-2022, 02:47 AM
Three Wheeling

What if find odd is that I have a mercedes with the Bosch ABS system and it doesn't show any of this behaviour. Since the system is fairly autonomous and has a fixed set of sensorts (wheels, steering etc) to take data from, how come Bosch and hence LR, don't have a diagnostic system that can test each of the parts simply? I understand that then the results go to the LR application which might set of alarms etc but the base components ought to be testable via Bosch no? Seems not and I am at a loss to understand why. LR SDD kit seems to be no better than IID and from what I can see has no ability to gather live data when driving. SO, they change parts and see what happens.
For the steering sensot, it seems to me that if IID can read it then the sensor is OK and so is the CAN network up to the sensor.
any clues?

Old 03-25-2022, 11:36 PM
Rock Crawling

I don’t have the answer. Steering sensor could be out of calibration rather than failed outright. Not sure if there is a calibration routine on the gap tool. Or it still could be something other than the steering sensor.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:12 AM
Three Wheeling

I might hav found the problem.
Last week I used the IID to see the steering angle and as I turned the wheel the angle changed correctly.
Today I did the sale and i displayed the angle as well as the voltage to the szensor.
The angle was either 756 or 730 and did not change! When I put the ignition on it was around 500 or 526 and then starting the engine it was only 756 or 730 randomly. The voltage was 0.25volts.
I will do another test later but if this is the case then the sensor or the connection to it is duff. If I display the sensor angle speed it gives a display correctly so I am not sure what conclusion to draw but it looks like this is an issue.
Thoughts?
thanks

Old 03-26-2022, 03:22 AM
Three Wheeling

The plot thickens. Went for a drive having restarted the tools and the car and the angles and voltages are all fine although the tool can't read the main voltage via the SASM menu.
Sometimes (and I have not refined this yet), when I start the angle will fix at 780 and then after a while read correctly; I need to dig around to see if I can determine if thi is the IID tool, the sensor, the sensor power supply or the sensor CAN connection although I am a bit limited in diagnostic tools. Any clues?
The initial results seem to indicate an issue around the sensor though

Old 03-27-2022, 04:30 AM
Three Wheeling

I intended to set up a live read of the angle and voltage and then drive and see if at some point the live value was cut and the dashboard lights came on. So far I have not managed to get the car to give me any errors.
Before I start I connect the tool and check the angle is indicating and I am wondering if this very act does something like waking up the sensor or telling the ECU the sensor is there. The sensor clearly works 99% of the time and I can see why in the cases where it was fixed the errors started.
Here is one log that is OK and one that is not

Old 03-27-2022, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Makes it a little easier to read if you use the same tracking parameters and same scales on voltage. Here I see sensor voltage and steering wheel angle, but the rest seem to be different.

At any rate, just looking at these two parameters, it certainly seems like something is wrong. There are voltage changes appear to be about the same magnitude on both plots, but no steering angle change on the first plot, only on the second. If they were both taken under the same conditions (e.g., key on - engine off, or key on - engine on), then it seems likely there is some kind of problem going on.

What you don’t know is whether its the sensor itself, a problem with the computer, or a bad connection of some kind. It is a bit strange that you’d see a voltage change on the tool, but no readout of the steering angle. I expect the sensor only outputs a voltage. The computer receives the voltage and outputs the steering angle. So, if you’re seeing a voltage change as you move the wheel, the computer should be seeing the same voltage change and outputting a steering angle. So, maybe the computer (or connection to the computer) is at fault, or maybe there’s a fault in the ODBII read.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks. I need to be a bit more disciplined here but have trouble repeating the same problems; Most of the time it seems to work and just occasionally screws up. I will do some more tests tomorrow with the same parameters;

Old 03-27-2022, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling

FYI, I ran a scan of my own steering sensor for comparison (engine running, but sitting stil and just turning the wheel back and forth). I don’t think the voltage readout is correct. It’s mostly flat the whole time, just a couple of blips. Must be something wrong with the IID reading of this parameter. But the steering angle and rotational speed look like they are reading correctly.

Quick Reply: What could be wrong with ABS?