Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Modifications (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/)
-   -   1995 RRC MSD Install (https://landroverforums.com/forum/modifications-33/1995-rrc-msd-install-69004/)

95RoverLWB 09-03-2014 03:44 PM

1995 RRC MSD Install

1995 Range Rover Classic MSD ignition install (101)

This is what I’ve been reading/ researching/ losing sleep over for the past few months.
My 1995 RRC, Reman engine, Crower 50229 cam, NRP exhaust and performance plugs/wires.
MSD Digital 6A or 6AL with MSD 8910 amplifier.

To give an opening, I’ve been trying to improve my performance without sacrificing the ability to swap back to stock wiring in case of an emergency/ failure. If you can change a sparkplug or fill your tire with air you can do this project!!!!!!
Now for the improvements/ performance gains.
- Quick start up
- Fast acceleration
- Very strong Low-end torque
- The rover follows through, meaning when floored it still pushes me in my seat even doing 4800 RPM and doing 60+MPH!!!
- NO LAG!!/ Stutter.
- Awesome engine response.
- Pristine timing
- Sparks like a frickan lightning bolt.

The Downs
- Mounting/ available space in engine bay.
-Cooling is very important/ don’t jam it in the corner
-Cost/ medium upfront cost

MPG
On average I’m getting around 13mpg in town “I have a big lead foot” I love that v8 sound
On the highway, I just took a 6 hr trip; I got 20+ mpg doing 70. I could have gotten better if I kept the rpm's below 2500. I was also climbing “small mountains”. Aka Maine.

The MSD system is literally something everyone should get. This system can be wired by ANYONE!!! My engine runs healthier, stronger, burns the fuel more completely and brings new life back into the rover. Why you ask did I do this? Well I wanted more power, better MPG, and this is the basis for my water methanol injection modification. Im getting picky about my performance, but this install is amazing!

My rule of thumb, if it costs a tank of gas, buy it. This cost me about 4 tanks of gas. Trust me, it’s worth it.

Will this hurt my stock system?
-No, just don’t be an idiot and touch the red and black wires together.

Will I get better MPG?
-Yes, but not for the first month you will be a LEAD foot and having too much fun!

Can my stock amplifier coil and distributor going to cause a problem?
-No, don’t touch any of that, just follow my schematic, the stock system is only carrying stock signals, the only heavily amplified signal is being sent to the sparkplugs.

Will this work with my 94 disco/ RRC.
I’m a Range rover guy, if the wiring in a disco is the same as a RRC then yes, put it in!!!

fishEH 09-03-2014 04:17 PM

That's pretty sweet! 3.9 engine?

95RoverLWB 09-03-2014 05:00 PM

Thanks and no its the Big Bad 4.2! ahah

I'm coming up with my Water-Methanol injection video soon.

fishEH 09-03-2014 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95RoverLWB (Post 479859)
Thanks and no its the Big Bad 4.2! ahah

I'm coming up with my Water-Methanol injection video soon.

You think it'd work well with a 3.9?

95RoverLWB 09-03-2014 05:45 PM

The MSD should.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. The wiring should be the same.

fishEH 09-03-2014 08:35 PM

Can you post a pic of the diagram?

95RoverLWB 09-04-2014 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
made up a Schematic.

Special Note, MSD does make other tach adapters/ amplifiers. This amplifier that I used the (8910) is the simplest and the only one you can use with a stock ignition system without further modifications.

fishEH 09-22-2014 12:32 PM

So what's the deal with your water injection? :)

95RoverLWB 09-23-2014 01:01 PM

So basically I’m using it to cool and help control timing. More or less an experiment for a rover.

Most guys would argue that water isn't good, I beg to differ. Water is good, just when it’s controlled!

Its dropping my intake temps to the point where my plenum is so cold I can stick my face on it after running the engine hard, after injection obviously. Ill get a temp gun and prove it!

Basically its allowing me to fine tune my timing, carry more power into the high rpms, cool the engine components, clean the engine inside out, increase HP and dramatically add power when used with Forced induction aka the blower I want to add.

So it’s not for everyone, you have to understand what you’re doing, plus when not used with forced induction, timing and ignition modifications have to be made; such as my MSD modification and Sparkplug choices.

Ill get a video up.

Is it cool?
-Literally yes it is.

Is it hard to understand and control?
- Yes and no.

Should I do it before I get a Cam/exhaust/Ignition upgrade?
-Sure, let me know your results. But understand your ignition timing before you jump on the project.

fishEH 09-23-2014 01:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sounds cool, I'll wait for you to perfect it. ;)
I bought the MSD 8910 amplifier, just need to get the MSD Digital 6A now. Then some 8mm wires and new plugs.